Big Truck Advice for newbies....

Nichole

New Recruit
Researching
My husband and I have been rrsearching expedieting for about 6 months now, he currently drives a 26 foot box truck that does.not reauire cdl. Even though he was a.cdl a driver otr before we now would.like to do team driving. We recently ran across a company that do hire.non cdl.drivers for otr deliveries in a straight truck with a sleeper. We where told our pay would be between 800.00 and 1200.00 per sriver per week. We are really considering this oppurtunity to gain experience will we o tain our cdl b license. Carriet will be covering all expenses with the truck so all we will do is be driving and making delivers. Does this sound like a reasonable job with us basically being independent contractors. Advice is needed.

Reactions: TeamPaul

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My husband and I have been rrsearching expedieting for about 6 months now, he currently drives a 26 foot box truck that does.not reauire cdl. Even though he was a.cdl a driver otr before we now would.like to do team driving. We recently ran across a company that do hire.non cdl.drivers for otr deliveries in a straight truck with a sleeper. We where told our pay would be between 800.00 and 1200.00 per sriver per week. We are really considering this oppurtunity to gain experience will we o tain our cdl b license. Carriet will be covering all expenses with the truck so all we will do is be driving and making delivers. Does this sound like a reasonable job with us basically being independent contractors. Advice is needed.
If your husband has a current cdl a, there is no need for him to get a cdl b. The only only one that would need a cdl b would be you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just so you know, you need a medical card to drive any vehicle over 10,000 pounds, even one that doesn't require a CDL.

But yeah, that sounds like a reasonable way to get into expediting, gain experience, and see if you like it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You said "that was" the requirement, indicating past tense of the medical card regulation, implying it is no longer a requirement. It "still is" a requirement for drivers of all motor vehicles that meets the definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle.

I just thought it really odd that he surrendered his CDL because he didn't update his medical card, despite the fact that he needs a medical card to drive any vehicle over 10,000 pounds. Doesn't make any sense, unless he is of the mistaken belief that he doesn't need the medical card if he doesn't need a CDL.

Reactions: TeamPaul

Nichole

New Recruit
Researching
He didnt just surrender his cdl a license, he was not working and when it came time to get his medical card updated we did not have the funds to do it. So that is why he no longer have a cdl class a license. Thanks for the correction about the medical card it was a error in word usage, thanks.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
The Alabama DOT are pretty notorious for sending out what I call "nasty grams" when your medical card is due... I get a letter every August stating to relinquish my class A CDL for failure to renew my medical cert. But then they end it with; failure to self nominate by October, your CDL class A will be revoked. Never the less, I get the card ($60 fee) and fax in the long form, and Wala! I'm good till the next time. I have not driven a large vehicle for a living since 2000, but I do everything I can to keep the license... "cheaper to keep her" so to speak.

So get the experience, get the Class B, and team up! As I hear it, here is money to be made in this business. Past experience tells me, that freight should pick back up once we know who will reside in the oval, so getting in and getting experience should have you in a good position to make a good living once the freight picks back up!