adding a pusher

peter379man

Active Expediter
ok i added a pusher axle to my truck, did everything right according to specs. Got pulled over and trooper told me that GVRW on truck is only 50000, now i am licensed for and axled to haul 96000, does anyone now how i go about getting a new tag or getting this one changed? i cant get anywere with the DOT. Please HELP!!

guido4475

Not a Member
ok i added a pusher axle to my truck, did everything right according to specs. Got pulled over and trooper told me that GVRW on truck is only 50000, now i am licensed for and axled to haul 96000, does anyone now how i go about getting a new tag or getting this one changed? i cant get anywere with the DOT. Please HELP!!

What kind of truck, type, do you have that you are plated for 96,000?? Are you in a dump truck? with quad axles? What state are you in? Mi? maybe check with the secretary of state there, Ohio? the IRP office in Columbus?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm trying to imagine an expediter hauling that kind of weight. Outside of the steel industry or mining-- hard to imagine. In my mind, I've already ruled out straight rig, so that leaves a Michigan Train or something very similar.

peter379man

Active Expediter
i have a 379 pete short hood tractor, i am plated for 96000 and im in iowa. I had tandems and added the pusher so now i am pulling triple tractor and triple trailer so i am legalfor the 96000 but the GVRW only says 50000.

guido4475

Not a Member
Wrong forum?

I was thinking wrong website altogether.It sounds as if, being a short hood, which will more than likely be under powered for you're application to begin with, you may want to start with a totally different power unit. A short hood will also really not have the room for the proper cooling capacity that you will need. You may want to ask a frame and axle specialty shop back home for advice.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had no problem doing a 96,000# load Miami to Cleveland area.
2001 Pete Coe,N-14, 370/435.
Ran up there with bigger trucks,no problem.
I'd spec heavier if I was doing it daily. A few times per year it did a fine job. Also, I didn't off road into mines,etc.

mzraik

Active Expediter
I was thinking wrong website altogether.It sounds as if, being a short hood, which will more than likely be under powered for you're application to begin with, you may want to start with a totally different power unit. A short hood will also really not have the room for the proper cooling capacity that you will need. You may want to ask a frame and axle specialty shop back home for advice.

There are shops that can legally change the GVWR and other ratings for your rig. I've never had to do this myself, but I have seen it in advertising that they can legally do this if they are certified.

Then ofcourse, you will have to jump through all of the hoops with IRP, IFTA, and so on.

peter379man

Active Expediter
Thank u i really do appreciate that, i will start looking for one of those shops. I did find out that this issue is kindof in a grey area for law inforcement, the trooper that pulled me over was young and half way abbusing his authority, as long as your legal on all axles and permits this would never hold up in court if u wanted to fight the issue. Just a bit of info for anyone who ever runs into this problem.