Addiction, Oil that is.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
If this is "change", I don't think I like it. Why do I get the feeling the only thing that is going to get "broke", is my wallet.:(
My guess he "fixes" the problem with a punitive tax hike to discourage consumption.

Obama’s fast-forming transition team will work over the next seven weeks to line up the incoming administration’s many competing priorities, all of which are expected to revolve around economic recovery. In an interview with CBS’s “60 Minutes” that aired last night, Obama said energy would remain a top priority early in his term, despite oil prices dipping below $60 a barrel.

“It’s more important,” Obama said. “It may be a little harder politically, but it’s more important.”

Asked to explain why energy would remain a priority, he replied, “Well, because this has been our pattern. We go from shock to trance. You know, oil prices go up, gas prices at the pump go up, everybody goes into a flurry of activity. And then the prices go back down and suddenly we act like it’s not important, and we start, you know, filling up our SUVs again. And, as a consequence, we never make any progress. It’s part of the addiction, all right. That has to be broken. Now is the time to break it.”

Full article here:Climate Progress Blog Archive Obama fills key posts on environment, energy teams

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Someone needs to figure out a way to charge people for fuel based on the MPG they get. If you get good fuel mileage, you get fuel cheap, if your vehicle gets bad fuel mileage, you pay through the nose. Been saying that since the 70's. No one listened to me then, either.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe Obama should offer a tax deduction for people who purchase fuel effecient cars - say those that get over thirty miles per gallon, hybrid cars, propane, powered, etc. Or, perhaps a govt. issued debit card that can only be used for fuel purchases. What the heck - send a check to everyone who already owns one of these vehicles. They probably are not "rich" anyway and need some money spread to them.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
"Someone needs to figure out a way to charge people for fuel based on the MPG they get. If you get good fuel mileage, you get fuel cheap, if your vehicle gets bad fuel mileage, you pay through the nose. Been saying that since the 70's. No one listened to me then, either."

Uh...hello....They already have. If you only get let's say 6 or 7 miles to the gallon, you are paying throught the nose...If you get 40 miles to the gallon you're not doing too bad...

or how about this...He makes all the people who own the big gas guzzlers buy all the people who can't afford one a fuel efficient vehicle....kinda redistribute the fuel cost a little bit.

Last edited:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Our government offered rebates to purchasers of fuel efficient cars so the better the fuel economy the higher your rebate. Unfortunately being a government program rebate cheques are a little slow in coming. Not sure if it is still on going but when I bought my last new car in 2005 I got hit with a fuel consumption tax and the car got over 35mpg (us gal). I thought then what's the use of buying an economical buggy if I get taxed more?? So next car I got was used and no surcharge for fuel consumption.
Rob