Accident

vipra

Expert Expediter
I was on I10 near Beaumont when a truck in the right lane started merging left because of a trooper on the right shoulder. There was a string of cars in the left lane all tailgating each other and it was obvious they weren't going to let the truck merge, but the trucker was hellbent on getting over. He started squeezing himself into a space that wasn't big enough for him when the car behind him in the left lane slammed on its brakes. That car flipped over, 4 others smashed together and spun in circles, and several others ditched themselves on the median to avoid crashing. The trucker was charged with the accident.

I've seen this same situation dozens of times- a trucker wants to merge left because of a trooper on the shoulder, but the cars in the left lane won't let him in. The cars always end up braking and changing lanes, increasing the chances of an accident. The law says, "Move over OR SLOW DOWN for stopped emergency vehicles." Evidently that "or slow down" part doesn't make sense to a lot of guys.

If you can't merge, just stay in your lane and slow down.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Good advice and a good reminder but I have to add what I saw the other day. The trooper had the car stopped and when the truck in front of us didn't pull over to the left, the trooper pointed to him and then to the side of the road where the car was stopped - indicating the truck was to pull over in front of the car and speak with the officer. I guess that is an example of "you can't win some days."

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
"Talent is God-given; be thankful.
Praise is man-given; be humble
Conceit is self-given; be careful."

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
That's why I'm opposed to split speed limits and speed limiters . Being forced to drive slower than the flow of traffic makes it difficult if not impossible to move over under these circumstances . Several times I have moved to the left only to be passed on the right as we passed the officer . Were any of these 4 wheelers stopped ? Not a one .

60MPH

Expert Expediter
has nothing to do with split speeds there are always going to be idiots that pass you on the right, if the speed limit is 55 for cars and trucks and you get over in the left lane at the speed limit you will still have idiots pass you because most people on the road don't drive the speed limit and they know they have a slim chance of the trooper giving them a ticket for not getting over. I had this happen 2 times today in oh. and pa. "pa. was working hard today on the turnpike" I only run 59-60mph and I saw a trooper on the shoulder just before one of the tunnels so I got over in the hammer lane and the little 4 wheeler that was doing 70-80 "in the 55" caught up to me in a hurry then flashed his lights at me "no I did not cut him off he was a ways back" and started to tailgate so I slowed to 55 he went around me just as we were comming up on the trooper and flew right by him, the trooper was with his customer outside and did not even turn his head. I guess that trooper is use to, as he always works the last tunnel "somerset" you know the one in the undercover red impala.

idiots are just going to be idiots

60MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tonight on the way home on I94, there was a trooper out of his car talking to the driver. I moved over and all of a sudden there was an a** hole who whipped around me and almost hit the trooper.

I had a couple discussions with troopers who I know and I don't understand why they don't stay on the right side of the vehicle they pull over. Also I think that the law is not clear on things like people who pass on the right. I would like to see them start ticketing people who actually go around trucks who move over as much as I would like to see cars and pickups with trailers drive at truck speeds - no reason why I should get passed by some idiot with a boat, U-Haul or jet skis at 75 or 80 mph. (oh the same with d*mn buses they need to drive truck speeds all the time!)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
When I lived in California, I noticed that CHP always approached the passenger side of the vehicle, away from the roadway. Yeah, it would be nice if they all did that.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I have seen some states have 2 patrol cars work together . When one stops a vehicle the other watches for vehicles not moving over . In another forum I saw a 4 wheeler driver ask why truck drivers waited until last minute to pull out to pass when they saw him coming up behind them in the left lane . The answer was if they pulled out sooner he was obviously one of those that would go faster and pass them on the right .