Acceptable mileage on a straight truck?

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking around for ST's and I'm trying to figure out if I buy used, what would be the maximum amount of mileage to even consider it?
I know the year of the ST is important, but lets say late models 2009 or newer.
I want to still be able to run it for 3 years and have some life left in it without cossing over that threshhold where things start breakin down all the time.
In a a few years I would love to bank my profits (yes I'm debt free) and maybe get
a real nice unit - maybe new. I have expedited in a van but I need more room and I know you guys know alot more about the longevity of ST's. Any feedback would be helpful....thanks so much..Rich:cool:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I huge determining factor as far as mileage would be is it a class 7 or class 8 truck you intend to buy.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A class 8 could see a million plus before an engine rebuild but you may have a transmission and clutch replaced before that. The previous owner's maintenance will be key for the longevity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Depends on the brand and engine design. The Hino 338 has a sleeved engine which means its infinitely rebuildable, my understanding is the other class 7s do not.

I am close to 900k on mine, but I am very meticulous on my maintenance.

If I had it to do over again I would get an old tractor and stretch it. Preferably with a detroit 60, class 7 trucks do not get good enough fuel milage for this type of work, I have yet to hear somebody say they get 12 to 14 mpgs out of any class 7, but that is very common on stretched class 8's.

I average around 10 and fuel is your biggest expense. The difference between 10 mpgs and 12 to 14 is 20 to 40%.

If I was driving a stretched Class 8 specked properly my net profit would have increased around 15 to 25k per year. That's a MAJOR difference.

The ole timers told me to get a stretched class 8, but at the time I started I was cash poor and Hino let me buy a new truck with 6k down, so you do what you have to do.

If circumstances force me to stay on the road and replace my truck, it will be with a "fuel milage" specked pre 07 class 8.

Trust me the difference between netting 70k a year and 95k a year is all the difference in the world!

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
All trucks break down all the time, maintenance is a constant battle.

Alternators, water pumps, valve adjustments, tires, brakes, shocks, fuel pumps, and now stupid exhuast filters. They all wear out even on the best quality truck your going to have to replace things, its part of the bussiness.

Some trucks are more expensive to maintain than others, Hinos are a little on the pricey side, but so are CATS.

Basically though unless you have the worst luck in the world or don't do your sceduled maintenance then having 15k either cash in hand or on a credit card is all your going to need to get your maintenance done.

My truck seems to run about 17c a miles in maintenance expense. So I figure to sock away aroun 1500 a month for maintenance and break downs its just the way it is. The longer you go between break downs the more expensive it will be when one happens.

So as you start socking away maintenance money, pretty son you'll have 10k save after about 8 mos or so, wham, you need 2 tires, $1400 and a couple of injectors $3000, that's the way it happens. You have to plan for it.

The milage on the truck doesn't matter near as much as whether the previous owner took care of it. Remember if its an inframable engine it is basically infinatley rebuildable. Once your tranny craps out, you replace it with a new one and your good for another mil miles.

Anyway, I guess this was too long winded.

Concentrate on fuel mileage that will be you biggest expense anyway.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I have a freightliner M2 106 with the Cat C9, it has a wet sleeve rebuildable engine. About to hit 800,000 on it, and full exspect to hit a million on it before a rebuild. Some call the C9 a small class 8 engine, not really sure.

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

Last edited:

WP2013

Rookie Expediter
I have an M2 106 with a C9 Cat. Currently has 1,178,000 miles on it without a rebuild. Good maintenance means everything!!