ABS light on

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Took my truck to the shop because the ABS light is on, they found A clevise pin missing on A front s cam and thought it was the problem it wasnt so they cleaned and checked sensors all was fine. they said I need a abs brake module that cost $1,300 and dealer will have to order it. They also said it is not against dot regs to run with abs not working and they do dot inspections. He wrote on the receipt what the problem is and that part is on order and that customer has been advised thatit is not against dot regs to operate the vehicle the way it is. What do you think?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I think you have a bent or corroded tone ring, and you need a shop that doesn't just throw parts at a problem when they really can't figure out what's wrong.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I've been having same problem on '08 cascadia. One shop found a bad sensor, and replaced it. Light still comes on and goes off. I was told that a worn or loose wheel bearing can cause wheel to "wobble" a little, which could activate sensor.
I've been worried that DOT will see light on my dash during inspection. Hope it's true that it's not a violation.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
i got a violation for it in the tonawanda dot trap they have by the gm factory, the inspector stuck his head inside and saw it, freightliner has never been able to fix it,and yes they want to throw parts around like it isn't their money,and it isn't their money, it's mine, light has been going on and off for 5 years now, along with check engine light, it shows no code, just pops on and off at random, give me analog any day screw this digital crap!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I was going to say wheel bearing also cause I had one that caused light to come on buy if its been doing it for 5 years, I don't know.

take the bulb out of the light.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wheel bearings were replaced in march or april. It now seems to stay on but just started a month ago.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i got a violation for it in the tonawanda dot trap they have by the gm factory, the inspector stuck his head inside and saw it, freightliner has never been able to fix it,and yes they want to throw parts around like it isn't their money,and it isn't their money, it's mine, light has been going on and off for 5 years now, along with check engine light, it shows no code, just pops on and off at random, give me analog any day screw this digital crap!
Yeah my check engine comes on ranomly and goes off too also no fault codes. Tech says usually theres A code that tells them what wheel to go to for the abs problem and its not giving them A code.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I had one dealer who told me to get a new dashboard haha
There is no way to unplug the lamp I think it's a pcb with led ,well I could always cut the trace on the led or just do what I've done now and put a smile sticker over it ! Glows nice that little smile at night

guido4475

Not a Member
My kenworth would that. It was the wheel bearing end play out of adjustment. Easy fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
My M2 ABS modulator valve was replaced because it was leaking air out of the bottom area (after 860,000 mi.s) causing the air pump to cycle more then it should, found it by spraying soapy water on all the air components and connections. ABS Mod valve was around $300 and installed myself.

Also, ABS wheel sensors are close tolerance to the hub ring, directions for install say there should be no space between the two, but upto .015 inches is OK. These sensors are not easy to move in and out for this adjustment and one can easily damage the sensor trying to pry it in or out while mounted. The wheel bearing issue would make sense. Me thinks techs don't take the time to get the sensors set correctly, it took me about 30 minutes each side to set them at .010 with a feeler gauge. To replace them without removing the hub, you have to remove two large bolts holding the sensor housing on and takes a few tries to get the tolerance correct. No ABS light now.

As far as DOT regs, and don't have time to research, but I believe it must be a 'red' dash light before it is in violation. A yellow warning light is merely a 'get repaired soon' type of thing.

I did want to throw in, regarding the AMU issues discussed in the past on M2's, I wanted to update I replaced AMU #3 again, but this time it lasted 590,000 mi.s after installing it with the clamping method. When I pulled it, it was again apparent dirt, and more likely salt, had worked it's way past the rubber gaskets with the molded in o-rings. Before I started squeezing the AMU's together when mounting, I was replacing the #3 every 80,000 mi.s or so.

Hope this helps.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
My M2 ABS modulator valve was replaced because it was leaking air out of the bottom area (after 860,000 mi.s) causing the air pump to cycle more then it should, found it by spraying soapy water on all the air components and connections. ABS Mod valve was around $300 and installed myself.

Also, ABS wheel sensors are close tolerance to the hub ring, directions for install say there should be no space between the two, but upto .015 inches is OK. These sensors are not easy to move in and out for this adjustment and one can easily damage the sensor trying to pry it in or out while mounted. The wheel bearing issue would make sense. Me thinks techs don't take the time to get the sensors set correctly, it took me about 30 minutes each side to set them at .010 with a feeler gauge. To replace them without removing the hub, you have to remove two large bolts holding the sensor housing on and takes a few tries to get the tolerance correct. No ABS light now.

As far as DOT regs, and don't have time to research, but I believe it must be a 'red' dash light before it is in violation. A yellow warning light is merely a 'get repaired soon' type of thing.

I did want to throw in, regarding the AMU issues discussed in the past on M2's, I wanted to update I replaced AMU #3 again, but this time it lasted 590,000 mi.s after installing it with the clamping method. When I pulled it, it was again apparent dirt, and more likely salt, had worked it's way past the rubber gaskets with the molded in o-rings. Before I started squeezing the AMU's together when mounting, I was replacing the #3 every 80,000 mi.s or so.

Hope this helps.

Mine doesn't have a red dash light only a yellow. When it stays on it is a dot violation. If it flashes on a hard brake it flashes and then goes off.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A.B.S. is fixed! the first shop wanted $1,300. for the part they said was bad (Brake controller) took it to the dealer it took them 4 hrs to find the chaffed wire and a .32c butt connector it took them a week before they could get it into their shop. Anyway glad my A.B.S. is working again.