Abandoned

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What I meant was I didn't think a driver would often know if a load ordered for Mon will be able to arrive Tue without causing a problem.

At Landstar, that information is often provided by the agents who dispatch us without us asking. When it is not, we need only ask if we want to know.

The shippers will sometimes tell us too. My favorite was a time in June when a shipper told us to get it there by September.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Don't hold your breath. Of course, there are times when a deadline absolutely can't be made. It will happen to the best of us. However, all I can see Subzero doing with that attitude is to get his contract terminated. He thinks that because his present "employer" isn't in expedited that it won't happen there, but the first time he tells his new dispatchers what to do with themselves and where to do it, they'll let him go.

I wasn't there so of course I didn't see the situation, but--- the other driver might have been right. Shifting a load from one truck to another on the side of the road just might not have been safe. You may have to maneuver the good truck so it faces the wrong way, then back up to the crippled truck, shift the load and then re-maneuver the truck-- possibly in traffic, possibly in poor weather or at night-- to get it aimed right and getting under way. If you don't maneuver the truck, then you have to hand carry several packages the full length of the truck, possibly on the traffic side. Unless you're on a quiet country road that has five cars a day on it, this could be asking for trouble. I wouldn't want to try this on an Interstate. The idea of being towed to a safe place for the transfer makes a lot of sense.
exactly.... and if I understand it right, he was on I-77. Im not aware of any places on that road that I would want to do a hand transfer on the side of the interstate.

Im guessing that the truck had to be towed to a shop? Why not do that and do the transfer there....or stop and do the transfer in route with the tow truck?

Taking responsibility for your business is easy to flap your gums about. It's what you actually do when the chips are down that seperates you from the crowd.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Also I find it funny that Friday this happened and here it is Tuesday and your already at another carrier. So in 1.5 business days you have another job. Makes me question the people you now work for. It took 2 weeks to get qualified for panther and Fdcc.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
Let me explain again. I am not leased on to A CARRIER. I have my own authority and insurance and do not have to live in fear of getting fired because I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE. I do not have to kiss anyone's royal behind.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The shippers will sometimes tell us too. My favorite was a time in June when a shipper told us to get it there by September.

I'm on a 1,000 mile run right now and the travel orders have a delivery date of 6 days out.

I called to confirm that the date was not a typo, that I can deliver direct if I want and not have to sit on it for days, but that I can take it easy instead of going all night, and that it's not going to suddenly change to "oh yeah, that should've been deliver at 11:00! Get your butt movin!"

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let me explain again. I am not leased on to A CARRIER. I have my own authority and insurance and do not have to live in fear of getting fired because I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE. I do not have to kiss anyone's royal behind.

That's---- not---- exactly accurate. Everybody and his brother dreams of setting himself up in his own business and telling his former boss what he can go do with himself. He figures he has no boss now, doesn't have to watch the clock and so on.

Problem: You've just exchanged one boss for many bosses. If you expect to keep your outfit going, you have to satisfy your customers. Each customer is your boss. Many of these bosses have far more outrageous wants and desires than your old boss ever thought of. Further, even in cartage you'll find that on-time delivery carries some weight. Maybe not as much as in expedited, but still it's going to be a factor.

Main point: You still have to check your attitude. When you deliver your customer's freight to the receiver, you represent the shipper as well as yourself. Comport yourself like a professional and you go a long way. Spout off like the shipper was an idjit for wanting on-time delivery, and the receiver will call the shipper and that's the last load you'll haul for that shipper. Do that enough times, and you'll find out that kissing royal behind would have kept the bills paid, at least.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
To put it even easier, I do not work for "a company" BigCat! I work for whoever I want, whenever I want. Today I may do a load for Company A, tomorrow I pick up a load for company B, and the next day I get a call from a broker for a load from company C. That is the beauty of having your own authority and not being scared to death because some recruiter or company may read a post and link it to me. There are many trucking companies and many brokers looking to get their loads moved and with the driver shortage, they care about results and not about your a##-kissing skills.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
No he is an idiot for thinking he is going to think he can threaten me by calling the police if I do not follow the a@@hole's orders and pay for a tow so someone else receives the ENTIRE payment.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You mean of saying FU to companies that have no problem of spending the truck's money?
I was being just a little bit facetious :D

Subzero wants to collect the money but he seems to not understand the "doing the deed" part.

Since he has now told us he runs his own authority, that makes him look even worse. He bears even more responsibility to get the load delivered as a carrier than as a lease o/o.

Basicly he has no business being in business and by reading his posts in this thread, I feel certain that it will be a self-correcting problem. mjm has it right....

Happy Trails! :beer:

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
subzero89, I am now an armchair truck driver( due to health problems) but I do know how to explain things on here without using cuss words in just about every post.There is actual christians on here that doesn't want to her that language.

Futhermore if you want to suceed in this business you need to change you attitude whether it is rush or not it dosen't matter.Just get it there.

Sorry but I thought it had to be said.

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
Well with all due respect, if that is what works for you, more power to you. My bills get paid because of results. It is a mutual respect between the companies and brokers I work with and myself. Unexpected circumstances sometimes happen. Some of the larger expediting companies may understand that but the others do not. If you are telling me after the fortune I lost that you would have paid for that tow so that some other baby who would not even unload it gets paid fully for it, then that is up to you. I guess that is what you have to do when you are leased on with one carrier who knows or at least thinks they can do whatever they want to you. They expect you to come to some boring orientation that they want you to pay for (Try Hours for example), charge you hundreds for satellite tracking devices you do need (Google Latitude is free and Macropoint is $25 per month), take reserves out of your settlements for no reason, either not permit you to find loads on your own or want a percentage of your money, and then when something goes wrong, does what they can to take advantage of you. Not to mention the fact they want you to sit around by the phone waiting for them to find you a load and then bid on it with everybody else. All I will tell you sir is that there is another way and you do not have to be expendable by one company even if you drive a cargo van or sprinter, but especially those of us who are in a ST or TT.

That's---- not---- exactly accurate. Everybody and his brother dreams of setting himself up in his own business and telling his former boss what he can go do with himself. He figures he has no boss now, doesn't have to watch the clock and so on.

Problem: You've just exchanged one boss for many bosses. If you expect to keep your outfit going, you have to satisfy your customers. Each customer is your boss. Many of these bosses have far more outrageous wants and desires than your old boss ever thought of. Further, even in cartage you'll find that on-time delivery carries some weight. Maybe not as much as in expedited, but still it's going to be a factor.

Main point: You still have to check your attitude. When you deliver your customer's freight to the receiver, you represent the shipper as well as yourself. Comport yourself like a professional and you go a long way. Spout off like the shipper was an idjit for wanting on-time delivery, and the receiver will call the shipper and that's the last load you'll haul for that shipper. Do that enough times, and you'll find out that kissing royal behind would have kept the bills paid, at least.