A newbie update

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was going to do this the first time I was back in town but my wife had me running too much before I went back out.

Well I took everyone’s advice about how to get this all started the right way and now I am an expediter. I want to thank everyone for their help and comments, both negative and positive.

Here is an update of sorts. Sorry if this jumps around a bit. Too tired to proof read it and shorten it.

As some of you may remember my choice was a sprinter, I said ‘was’ because the down payment went to pay medical bills, which are more important and caused me to look at other (less expensive) vehicles.

I ended up with a 1999 GMC G3500 cargo van that has been pre-scratched and pre-dented. I don’t worry about adding scratches because it is not a new vehicle. I did add a good scratch on the side door during a very bad day this past week. Oh well, I will get to the body work someday.

Of course I stuck to my convictions that I won’t own anything but a diesel, so it is a 6.5 Turbo. I know the history of the van which makes me feel a lot better in buying a used vehicle. I have not been happy with the dealer, who I have to say needs to understand time is money. A nice person at GM ran the VIN and I got the build sheet and the history of all the work (and recalls) that were done at the GM dealer. Oh yea the dealer I bought it from messed up the grill and replaced it with a Chevrolet grill, so again I have another van with the wrong grill.

I am simulating Terry and Rene’s interior, but because of my time constraints and lack of help, it won’t all be finished until the fall. I am working on the bunk while I am home. I hope I can finish the bunk and the electrical system before my next run.

As for the performance of the van, can’t ask for better; 17 MPG all the time loaded/unloaded, except idling. The most I had on the van was 1600 lbs and it drove like it had nothing on it. Handled hills better than I thought and actually may out pull my Dodge Cummins TD.

I am contracted to Express – 1 and am happy with them so far. I won’t lie that there are things I am unsure about with them, but I understand that is with anyone that starts with a new company, so it is not Express – 1 issues. So I won’t bore you with that stuff.

My first week was good until I had to come home to get my plates (see the dealer forgot to get them while I was in town the first time and they processed them the day before my temp tag expired, this really screwed me up and he heard a monolog of what it cost to bring me home). This past week I did OK, not what I wanted to do BUT it is what I expected. This upcoming week, who knows? I hope to be out of the Detroit area and at least make a 1000 miles. Actually I need 1500 but….

This past week I did have a run where I didn’t make any money at all and I had one that I made $2, but I am still learning and I think I am too eager to get running and seem to forget my business model formula. The one problem that I have, which some people will think is stupid is I am still waiting on my laptop to arrive and need this to actually function out there in the world. (Dell Screwed me up with refusing to fulfill my lease order even though I purchased $40k of equipment from them last year so I turned to HP and got a great deal on an HP laptop with everything I need. I still am trying to figure out where to put the color laser printer in the van (hehe). But most of my stuff I need to do is with a laptop, like navigation.)

So why am I home? Well….I took a load to Champaign Ill on Thursday and sat for half the day waiting to get out of there. I asked for a suggestion and was told to move back toward Lafayette or Indy which used up all my loaded profit and than some. I ended up in Crawfordville Indiana at Wal-Mart which is centrally located. I sat next to a bunch of RV’s which I thought was odd because the KOA was just down the street.

For a day I sat in the heat and decided to move back home after moving out of Wal- Mart, Yes I know that I won’t make any money if I do this and lost $150 on paper doing so (actually the direct cost was around $75), but I could not take the heat. I spent about $7.50 in fuel a day just idling my van every 15 minute for 4 minutes in a 14 hour window and when it came to 14 minutes I was dying.

A sidebar here...I have an A/C unit to install in the truck so I don’t have to idle the engine. It is actually part of a solar A/C unit that I traded for a refrigeration unit for a cube truck. I have to replace the compressors (they went through a hell of a lightning strike), which are the same ones that they use in the refrigerators in trucks, norcold etc... It is not a big unit but it will keep my 125 sq. ft of space cool (not cold) and where I can wait out a weekend or even a week without killing my budget through idling all the time. It is made to be attached to a solar panel and small battery. Well I have a large battery and no solar panel yet.

I figure it this way, if I sit for two days out of 7 it adds up to $60 a month which the A/C will pay for itself after 8 months. Now I considered that there is something called winter but what if I get stuck down in Laredo TX in December, it’s still sort of warm down there isn’t it? Also the neat thing about this unit is that it is actually a heat pump, cool in the summer and hot in the winter.

Well back to the update

I was offered one load, a 250 mile DH to some place in KY to take a load down to Laredo TX. No problem with the miles or DH but I would have to sit there until Thursday to get something out of there, maybe. Let’s see, Monday to Thursday….this scares me because of the heat I was dealing with in Indiana, so I turned down the offer. I actually tried to make it work, but even though the pay would have been good, I would have made (according to my business model) around $123 profit for the trip but after I took in account of possible lost revenue for the time I would be sitting, it could not work.

Ok for all the newbie expediters out there this is not as easy as it sounds….sometimes.

You have to have a lot of working capital (I am actually down to my last $2000 and hope to see a move to a positive cash flow situation soon)

A lot of understanding how to get to where you need to be at; i.e. navigation. I mean Maps are great but GPS/Computer or GPS navigation unit is the way to go.

A lot of patients for stupid stuff. Like trying to find a dock where you need to drop your load. It is easy for a d unit, but a van? I went to one plant that had 54 docks broken down in 10 sections and just parked at the one nearest the entrance and went in. They took the load and even gave me a tour but said that the load normally goes to the docks on the other side. Opps. Well they didn’t mind this; it was a break for them. But on the other hand you also have to have patients for the stamp game as I call it. I looked for someone that would even admit to having the stamp for my BL at Ford and ended up taking it to the guard shack to get stamped. They did but ok I made the mistake not to move the truck until I get the stamp that receiving had all along.

You also have to have something to kill the time while you wait. This business is customer driven, not company driven and it is the customer who runs the show. I read three books, one by this writer most people younger than me never heard of, Dashielle Hammett. Interesting writer to say the least but seeing that he wrote a lot of books, I have some reading to do.

Also to all the newbies I did not expect to even turn a profit in my first month or two and this would not be big profits, something like a few hundred or so after paying off things I needed to get.

There is also a puzzling thing I went through I want to share. I went to a Pilot truck stop in Indiana and put my small cargo van in the auto lanes to fuel up. The assistant manager came running out (she was really running like the place was on fire) and yelled at me to move it to the commercial aisle to fuel up “or else”. So I did and when I went in she made me go through this crap about “let me see your DOT #s, driver’s license and truck registration”. She went through my entire book like she was Customs and than told me to fuel up. I put $50 into the tank and went back in and she again did the DOT#, Driver’s license and truck registration thing before I could pay. I did pay and went on my happy way (yes I am lying – I was not happy). The next pilot I pulled up to the commercial aisle and was told to move to the auto aisle. The next one I was told always go to the commercial aisles regardless and fuel up and if I am told to move, call pilot and complain. So I now pull into the commercial lanes to get fuel and go through the whole “what’s your dot#” stuff.

Well that’s about it for now.

If you have any comments about Express – 1 or questions, please PM me.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
In Indiana trucks with DOT numbers are exempt from state sales tax so always go to the truck lanes in IN for a lower fuel price . If you use pay at the pump it will ask for your MC number . One thing I found strange in IN is if I buy a Speedway gift card it works at the fuel pump but I am not asked for an MC number or truck number . I don't know about lately but I was buying $50 Speedway gift cards for $48 which amounts to a 4% discount on fuel .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Greg,

Congrats on a succesful start! Hang in there, and stick to your plan. As you get used to the company, and they to you, it will get easier, til it's 'old hat'...

Just rememember this bit of advice... always carry a spare key...you will never feel more stupid than you do as you hear the sound of that door clicking shut as you remember your keys are inside...

[img src="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_121.gif"]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Just rememember this bit of advice... always carry a spare
>key...you will never feel more stupid than you do as you
>hear the sound of that door clicking shut as you remember
>your keys are inside...

I carry a complete set, minus the keyless remote, in my pocket. I've never locked myself out so it's just insurance but it's also nice to be able to get into the side boxes or take the padlock off the box without climbing back up to get the keys. It also saves turning off the engine just to unlock the box and then have to restart to back in.

Leo
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Crazynuff, I don’t have any problems except Pilot and it is irritating. I do have to go through the DOT # thing at Shell at exit 156 on I-69 but I have been doing that for years with them when I go down to Indy and I always fill my pick up truck there. I will try the speedway gift card, every dime I save helps. thanks

Thanks Dreamer, I will surly stick to my plan. I know I will be successful and so does my wife. I forgot to add among all the problems I have had getting started the bank that has the business account has yet to get me a check card that works, so I pay everything in cash or transfer money to another account, what a pain.

You know you both Leo and Dreamer have a very good point. While I was trying to finish my bunk (or trying to - not done yet), I miss-placed my keys. At the same time I started to look for them, I got a call from dispatch for tomorrows load. Panic mode set in and I frantically looked for them. Finding them on the seat of the van, OPPS

One of my fellow newbie at orientation made it a point to tell everyone to get a spare. So when I am done with the load I will get a third key and try to figure out where to hide it outside the van.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Greg, Been there done that and it is very frustrating to loose ones keys out there. I have done it three times now in one year. Those belt loop holders, she let go did not have it hooked securly. That sets gone, first set lost in NY in the TA resturant, they found them just could not locate them when I claimed them. Third set I left in my Pick Up unloading thought I was loosing my mind when I was actually rushing. Found them in glove box after I came back home.

Keep a full set of keys in the truck and hide just an ignition set somewhere that you can get to even if you have to call a locksmith.

Pilots oh yes what a pain. My Pilot Visa just arrived Saturday so hopefully my discounted fuel can happen. As for cash Doc Rushing offered me this advice and I love it and it works. Flying J has a Debit card good as a regular Visa, I use it exclusively for running low on funds usually take $300.00 a withdrawl and for fuel than again discount price.

It also works as a checkbook if you want checks no credit checks no fees etc... Works very nice for us out on the road as there are no Fees. Just a suggestion that works great for me. I would use it all the time but not enough Js around the Country.

Sometimes going to Loredo, just find a cheap Motel and kick back, I found some down there for $25. a night with a pool clean, close to resturants,etc.. It beats the heat and the wear on the Engine. Acutally probably is cheaper than trying to stay cool in a Van. It is the cost of doing business and think about the return trip to Michigan.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
When I was on the road I always wore my dog tags for emergency purposes - and carried a spare door key on the same chain. Maybe not a fashion statement, but functional nonetheless....

Scott

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Pilot s**ks. I avoid them like the plague. If I do go there it is because I am running on fumes and I get just enough fuel to get me to the next J or Petro. 5 cents a gallon extra for credit is ridiculous especially when they are already one of the highest out there.
I was in a big hurry last week taking a run from Indy to Nashville, TN. I was trying to make it to the J at exit 2 in Franklin, KY but the gauge was really scaring me and I couldn't take the chance of running out of fuel so I had to stop at the Pilot at exit 6. I whipped into the auto side cause I thought it would be quicker. And of course they had just gone to pre-pay all pumps 24/7 and their auto diesel pump did not have a card reader (convenient). So I went inside and handed them my Discover card and told them to put $25 on it on Pump 5. They can't make the pump shutoff at a certain amount so they said they would turn it on. I said "great so I can come in TWICE". I went out and the more I thought about it the madder I got. So I just pumped $5 in it and went back in. The clerk said "You are done already?" And I said "Yeah , you're fine customer service policies made me decide to just get me enough fuel to get down to the Flying J" She said "oh" "Do you still want to put it on the card" And I said yes. They don't charge extra at the auto pumps for credit. So let them pay the Discover fee on that $5 transaction and I will keep my cash for a more deserving retailer.
So I left and went to Flying J and filled her up.
Still made my "protect time" and we don't use QC's.

Sometimes it is just the principle of the thing.