A New War In Israel

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hamas - an Iranian proxy - has launched a carefully planned and coordinated attack on Israel from multiple fronts on a Jewish holiday which also happens to be the 50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur war. This wasn't a one-off terrorist attack, it was meant to be an act of war that was likely emboldened by a weak Biden foreign policy that revived the Obama appeasement of Iran and an antagonistic attitude toward Israel and it's Prime Minister Netanyahu. Currently, we have no sitting ambassador to Israel due to Biden's slow-walking of the nomination and the Democrat-lead Senate dragging their heels on confirmation of nominee Jack Lew. This is another shooting war under Biden's watch that requires US support, this time for a close US ally in the Middle East. Hopefully, Congress can redirect some funds from Ukraine to Israel to help them put Hamas out of business once and for all. This will not be a quick process, but US aid can make it happen sooner rather than later.

The following post from Victor Davis Hanson does a great job of evaluating where things stand and how they got there.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
All u need to know:
6 The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” Well, you know how that went,,,here we are again...

Reactions: Pilgrim

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have no doubt that the Israel with US help will defeat the Hamas fighters on Israeli soil and take out the Hamas power centers in Gaza. Israel will beat back this attack and suppress Hamas to the point where the rocket and infantry attacks on Israel will stop.

The question most on my mind now is discussed in this article. How did Israel miss what Hamas was planning?

This was not a small terrorist attack. As Pilgrim said, this is "a carefully planned and coordinated attack on Israel from multiple fronts." Worse still, it was highly successful and it continues, on the ground on Israeli soil, as I write this. The Israeli army did not quickly beat back these attacks on their own soil. They will. But it is taking them a surprisingly long time to do so. That's because the attacks were indeed "carefully planned and coordinated."

How did Israel not see this coming? How do thousands of rockets get smuggled into Gaza undetected? And paragliders? How does Hamas acquire them and train troops in their use? These are loud and not hard to spot. Yet troops training to use them seemingly went undetected. How did groups of well-organized, equipped and coordinated Hamas fighters plan and rehearse their multiple, simultaneous attacks without being detected? How did they move troops and infiltrate multiple Israeli towns with ease, without being detected in advance?

These are not small operations. They are major operations. With the vast and modern security and surveillance apparatus Israel is said to have, how did Israel get caught so blind and so flat-footed?

Again, I have no doubt that the Hamas attacks will be beaten back and Hamas will be quieted. But we have been through that cycle many times in the last 50 years. Israel has conducted numerous operations in and against Gaza to quiet the attacks, but the attacks keep coming, and they are not getting smaller. They are getting bigger and more successful.

It has happened many times before that Israel operations have taken out Hamas leaders and installations. But they are continuously replaced and they come back stronger. Diplomacy will be suggested as the answer by some. But with the horrendous behavior of the murdering and hostage-taking Hamas fighters, and an equally horrendous response being promised by Israel, no one in charge of either side is open to diplomatic solutions now. At present, Israel and Hamas are at each other's throats and that's exactly where they want to be.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The question most on my mind now is discussed in this article. How did Israel miss what Hamas was planning?
It did not take long for the answer to my question to emerge.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It did not take long for the answer to my question to emerge.

This is a good article and makes some points that will hopefully make some US political leaders take note:

"Since a 2021 war with Hamas, Israel has sought to provide a basic level of economic stability in Gaza by offering incentives including thousands of permits so Gazans can work in Israel or the West Bank, where salaries in construction, agriculture or service jobs can be 10 times the level of pay in Gaza.

"We believed that the fact that they were coming in to work and bringing money into Gaza would create a certain level of calm. We were wrong," another Israeli army spokesperson said."

Keep in mind that our southern border is wide open for anyone to cross at will, and they're being enabled by Mexican cartels who are not friends of the USA. Already there have been 150 illegals caught this year that are on the Terrorist Watch List; how many have entered that haven't been caught? We're letting these illegals come in on the same basic premise that Israel was offering the Palestinian terrorists - a chance to work and have a better life. That's what happens when you try to appease your enemies.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Meanwhile, as Hamas terrorists murder and torture innocent civilians, women and children, Palestinians celebrate in NYC. Notice the young thug in the 2nd photo of the article holding up a photo of a swastika on his phone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It seems that before Hamas launched its military operation, they ran a successful psychological operation (PSYOPS) that lulled Israel into a false sense of security and diminished readiness.

They had an open-air music festival close to the Gaza border with no security to speak of. They presented a lucrative target of opportunity to Hamas, which they used to kill hundreds and easily take hostages and spirit them into Gaza to be used as human shields. With the benefit of hindsight, it seems insane to hold such a festival on open land, in open air, near the border, with no security.

With the benefit of hindsight, there will be a lot of incrimination of Israeli institutions and officials from Israelis for this lapse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Israeli Support for Netanyahu is Dropping

I thought this might happen. Netanyahu branded himself as Mr. Security for years. But now, the massive security failure on his watch has Israeli voters upset. Keep your eye on this. Leadership changes may develop.

"Leaders often receive a boost in support thanks to the rally around the flag effect, but the enormity of the slaughter and the depth of the intelligence and security failure have instead led to an implosion for Netanyahu and Co."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And the purpose of posting this kind of garbage is....?
I don't see those two posts as garbage or promoting hatred. This is an incredibly complex situation with many aspects and high, high tension. The two posts highlight a couple of those aspects.

Reactions: muttly and Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"It may be that anger and disgust across the Muslim World with the destruction of Gaza and its people eventually provokes a larger war that could involve Iran, even Turkey."

What this post does is point out scenarios that could develop within the Middle Ease as Israel fights back against a terrorist group that wants to eliminate them as a race, similar to the Nazis in WW2. Since Hamas is a minion of Iran, it stands to reason they would be the first to intervene, and sure enough they're doing just that. Hezbollah is already firing rockets into northern Israel; what comes next?

"Meanwhile, the Axios news site reported that Tehran has sent Jerusalem a message through the UN that it will intervene if the campaign in Gaza continues, and particularly if it launches a ground offensive. The report cited two diplomatic sources with knowledge of the matter."

Reactions: muttly