A little venting and a real need

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Anybody know anyone around the Cincinnati area that is a clutch person? Good Lord! I just want it adjusted to the point that it does not slip and it does not chatter. It is only a year old and it has some wear and I have had it adjuted three times in two days and two mechanics. One stoped the slipping but left me with chatter. The other stoped the chatter but added some slipping.

I just want it in the middle! Oh please give me the strength to get through one more day in this trucking business

Raceman
OTR O/O

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Get thee to: www.roadranger.com

Click on "Products and Solutions"
Click on "Clutches"
On the right side, click on "Literature Center" and find the installation sheet for your clutch (I'm assuming that your truck has an Eaton clutch, most likely a 14" single disk). You should be able to figure out which model you have by looking at the RO from the replacement.

There is really no "happy medium". The clutch is either properly adjusted or not.
There are also trouble shooting guides available on the site.

I hope this helps.

Rex

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
You have damaged the clutch! Adjusting it won't take the chatter out. If your lucky it won't slip, otherwise you better just plan on a new clutch in the near future. Maybe you should of bought an automatic?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I got a transmission change in Feb, and it started chattering almost immediately. I told them about it, they adjusted it, but it came back. Could it be they damaged the clutch putting it in? Cause I really didn't have a chance to screw it up over a day or so.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If everything checks out ok and in the case if it is new, it is likely the throw out bearing.

Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Rex, I will check that out.

This is a relatively new clutch and tranny. I have been through this before and when it is finally adjusted right there is no problem. The last time I went through this a guy in a scuz pit well into Indiana fixed it. That was another truck same problem.

As for being told I should have an automatic, well I have never owned one in anything accept my current Excursion and I wish everyday, that was a standard.

THawk has had some of the same problems I have and knows that when they put all this new stuff in, even though it is new, there is plenty that takes some tweaking.

As for the clutch though, it is not an Eaton tranny and it is not a single plate it is a double.

Oh well thanks for all the input. I found a guy here in town, Thanks to a TST driver that runs with me a lot here dedicated.

By the way ran to StLouis yesterday and boy oh boy what a mistake. I don't know if I will be able to easily get back to my dedicated run when the plants opens back up. Man is the road sweet! Eating crappy food, sleeping in the truck, spilling coffee down the front of me, forgetting the truck was not stocked with cloths, toothpaste and not being able to go potty when I need to. Man I love the open road.

Raceman
OTR O/O