A Goody Bag on my Mirror

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I awoke Friday morning to find a goody bag full or BOL's, TripPak envelopes, log books and other things hanging on my mirror. Location was at the T/A in Morris, IL. (R-Place)
I was wondering who left them for me. I would assume the why was because they were leaving.
Thanks to whoever it was. We were getting low on them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We still need to carry log books, even with the new Qualcomm units.

Example: Still getting used to the new unit, I made an entry error the other night that could not be corrected except by the HOS team at our carrier. The trouble was, that team does not work 24/7. So I was left with a violation on my electronic log that could not be corrected until the next morning. If this had been a Friday, the violation would have lingered until Monday.

The fix, I am told by the HOS team, is to complete a paper log page to show the correct entry. With the old Qualcomm system and paper logs, the correction would have been immediately made by me in the truck, using white out.

The paper log page fix may be what the HOS team says but I was nervous all night because if we were pulled in for an inspection, I did not know what the inspecting officer woud have said. Everything turned out OK in the morning. We did not get pulled in. The HOS team made the correction and everything was good again.

I know EOBR's have their supporters but when you cannot legally correct an entry error on an EOBR that you used to be able to legally correct on a paper log with white out, it does not seem like a step forward.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We still need to carry log books, even with the new Qualcomm units.

Example: Still getting used to the new unit, I made an entry error the other night that could not be corrected except by the HOS team at our carrier. The trouble was, that team does not work 24/7. So I was left with a violation on my electronic log that could not be corrected until the next morning. If this had been a Friday, the violation would have lingered until Monday.

The fix, I am told by the HOS team, is to complete a paper log page to show the correct entry. With the old Qualcomm system and paper logs, the correction would have been immediately made by me in the truck, using white out.

The paper log page fix may be what the HOS team says but I was nervous all night because if we were pulled in for an inspection, I did not know what the inspecting officer woud have said. Everything turned out OK in the morning. We did not get pulled in. The HOS team made the correction and everything was good again.

I know EOBR's have their supporters but when you cannot legally correct an entry error on an EOBR that you used to be able to legally correct on a paper log with white out, it does not seem like a step forward.

Excellent points all. You should send that one in to be published in the newsletter to remind people like me that don't always have their thinking caps on!

And no, all things new are definitely not a step forward.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Excellent points all. You should send that one in to be published in the newsletter to remind people like me that don't always have their thinking caps on!

And no, all things new are definitely not a step forward.

I'm not sure our carrier would want to put this in a newsletter, at least not until they are absolutely, positively certain that this is a permitted thing to do. I was nervous because the last I heard, the DOT does not like it very much when a driver is found with two log books in the truck.

It would be better, I think, to empower dispatchers or security desk personnel to make such corrections 24/7, or to staff the HOS desk the clock around.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or give US the power to fix all of our own problems. We could use white out when we had paper and could fix anything back then. What has changed that we are no longer trusted to fix all mistakes?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leaving a baggy on a mirror full of stuff does not sound like something Terry would do. When Terry see's another vehicle even if they are asleep he often leaves a business card saying he was there. I can imagine Terry assuming someone needed supplies as most people are well stocked.

This sounds to me like a driver who has left FedEx Custom Critical getting rid of their supplies. We have had this happen to us and it only makes sense why throw away this stuff? Help out another driver who can use these supplies or pass them on to someone who needs them.

When you quit pass on your supplies to a fellow driver from your former company.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I thought it was probably someone who was quitting. But I was hoping it was an EO member who could tell me the why of them leaving.