a few more newbie questions

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
i'm thinking of running a ford transit connect and leasing on to a carrier and learning the business I do learn fast.
Do I need a CDL for running something like a transit connect though one day I would like to move up to a box truck.
Do you guys sleep in your vans and if so where do you park and have you ever been bothered by the cops:confused::rolleyes:.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i'm thinking of running a ford transit connect and leasing on to a carrier and learning the business I do learn fast.
Do I need a CDL for running something like a transit connect though one day I would like to move up to a box truck.
Do you guys sleep in your vans and if so where do you park and have you ever been bothered by the cops:confused::rolleyes:.

You will need a CDL if the carrier you want to drive for requires it.
Yes, the guys [and the women, too] sleep in the vans - make it comfy, it's your home away from home.
Drivers sleep in a variety of places: truck stops [front lot], WalMart, other big box stores, state parks in nice weather - the options in a van are plenty.
Yes. I've also had a cop come to check and make sure I was ok, which was really nice. :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner

A Transit Connect is the smallest one they make and would only hold a pallet. You would probably have trouble signing something like that on. You will probably need to move up to the full size Transit.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
i'm gonna go with the 144 inch with the high roof sprinter!! since I want to put a custom bunk in there for two people with a fridge and microwave and a t.v

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I called the company that I want to run for today. and they told me I don't need a CDL to run a sprinter van:)!! but I do need a clean MVR and no felonies wich is no problem. your right that drivers do sleep in a variety of places from wal marts Kroger parking lots to as you said state parks and other box stores!! that was nice of the cop to make sure that you were ok. I didn't know if they harassed you or moved you on!!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Even the 144" is pretty short with a sleeper area. Most carriers want the capability to haul 3 skids. better check with the carrier of choice and make sure.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for that info!! what size trailer would you go with:confused:? I was thinking of a 24 FT truck

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I called the company that I want to run for today. and they told me I don't need a CDL to run a sprinter van:)!! but I do need a clean MVR and no felonies wich is no problem. your right that drivers do sleep in a variety of places from wal marts Kroger parking lots to as you said state parks and other box stores!! that was nice of the cop to make sure that you were ok. I didn't know if they harassed you or moved you on!!!

They rarely "harass" us, [most times they are called by someone], but usually, they do tell us we need to move, due to store policy, city law, or resident's complaint. It goes with the territory.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Only way your going to get more than 15 ft is with a chassis cab and custom box on anything cargo van sized. Or just buy a under 10k gvw 14 ft cube.
in other words anything over 10k gvw and you have to log and then anything over 26k you need a cdl.

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching
Even the 144" is pretty short with a sleeper area. Most carriers want the capability to haul 3 skids. better check with the carrier of choice and make sure.

I will remember that: hauling three skids is best in most cases. Thanks.