A decent Internet package for the road

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I just got off the phone w/ ATT. I got DSL for my house w/ the capability of using their wifi hot spots unlimited for $30/month. I got the up to 3.0 speed. Ya can get 1.5 for $25 or if ya wanna go to the 6.0 I think that's like $35 or 40.

The way it was explained to me was that this wasn't quite as good as the air card (3G Network & such) in terms of mobility. That you need to be at a hot spot vs being able to use it anywhere you get cell phone service. With 60,000 wifi spots though, this isn't much of a drawback IMO.

The advantage though, is that you can get unlimited use by going this route vs. a 5MB limit of space on the aircard. Also the price for this is $30 vs. $60 for the 3G card. This is also supposedly faster than a 3G Network when you're on the road. He said it will vary some by wifi spot, but overall this is faster than their 3G Network.

I didn't quite understand this part but I think the 3G Network card ya needed to run your phone thru your computer or something if ya wanted to use your laptop rather than a phone to be on the internet. Where as this way it's simply turn on the laptop & use that.

In comparing the 2 this seemed like the way to go even if I didn't have a home computer. Figuring I'm getting this for less than I was w/ Comcast, which I could only use at my house, & this seems like the way to go.

Now it's just a matter of is DSL as good as cable? I'll find out in about 2 weeks or so.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have the AT&T 3g aircard, and I love it, and it works everywhere. No, I dont use my phone to use it. There used to some out there like that, but that does not make much sense to tie up your phone at the same time while using your aircard and it takes away from your phone minutes, if you have one of those type of plans.The setup I have is AT&T unlimited calling for $99.00 a month, nationwide, no roaming, and the aircard for $60.00 a month plus some other extras included. While there are cheaper plans/carriers out there, I will stick with what works, even if it costs a little more.Kinda like having a KW truck vs a Freightliner, imo.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
If you only plan to stay at truck stops, rest areas, stores that have at&t wifi (hoping they all allow truck parking) great plan. Keep in mind that with the wifi you will be more vunerable to virus attacks (how good is your virus package?).

With the aircard you actually get a card that plugs into 1 of 2 places in your laptop. The only times i've had problems with virus on the air card is when I wasn't paying attention (twice). On the wifi (even swift's) i had numerous problems with virus attacks. Plus you can get to it anywhere you have signal (does not necessarily have to be 3g).

So far about $30 more you get more mobility and security.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well that's interesting... that post went to cyberspace.
Again AT&T users be forewarned and log every conversation that you have with an AT&T representative in person, or on the phone. Pertaining to your cell phone, and or air card. Having been there, done that am more than pleased with the end results being money in my pocket, than theirs! When their service starts going in the gutter, and all you get are representatives who have no power to do anything but lead you astray, be glad that you kept track of their ineptness(sp) to assist you. All the complaining aside, I still have their cell phone( I got a kick *** International plan when they were still Cingular, that they are still honouring) ( kissing the ground, and knocking on wood).