A Christmas Reflection

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
It is the eve of another christmas as I sit here and ponder the events of the past year.
Earlier this afternoon I drove across Missouri and Illinois making my way home for the holidays. It was a quiet ride and gave me alot of time to think about things. Most of you out there know of what I speak, driving along not on the phone and the mind begins to wander.

As the day slowly turned to night i became aware of the absence of christmas decorations...not the ones on stores and billboards mind you, but the ones I used to see on many homes every year. Seems to me that with each passing year I see less decorated homes.

Growing up I remember my mom would load us kids up in her car and take us for a drive down several streets so we could see the wonders of the neighborhood lightfest. Truly it was a sight to behold. The greens , reds, blues and twinklers...even to topiary were decorated...streetlamps with giant lit candy canes and big red bells...even without snow it was simply amazing through the eyes of a child.

Now, in my town, the streets are mostly darkened, and only a couple of houses have displays. The towns once bright decorations are in disrepair and some of them do not even work. The failing economy has really done a number on christmas flare, but has it done a number on spirit? Nah, I don't think so.

You see, as I drove along I stopped at a local store and purchased a ham. While moving through the crowd I noticed all the happy faces on most people as they were happily shelling out wads of cash for toys and food and all the assorted needs for the long night ahead...wrapping presents for christmas day and such. During this time in the store I remebered that it was my first christmas without Snaps. Now i have become somber.
Driving down the road I keep looking at the passenger seat and at the collar hanging from the gear shift. I feel the wounds tearing open again. My eyes begin to well up and I stop myself....wait a tic...this isn't right.

Every year ends at christmas and begins with new years day. Christmas day is more than just presents and gobs of food to injest. It is the one day, the singular day of the year where one is at peace with ones self and has the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of ones labor...usually found in the simple joy etched on the childs face as he and/or she collects the hoard that Santa has brought them. For the adults it is also a time to remember those that are no longer with us and appreciate even more those that are. While Snaps is gone, I know that he is at peace and that brings me peace as well. Appropriate I think.

While the year comes to a close and the new begins we customarily boast of the things we are going to acheive during the new year. This custom is what makes us more individualistic than any other. Here we can set goals and succeed or fail based on our own desires. This past year was really hard. More on some than others. Yet we press on. I was hoping to remodel this van I am in, but unforseen events took precedence over my desire and it sadly did not happen. Perhaps my goal was too lofty, perhaps not. Just the way the ball bounces I suppose.

At any rate my point here is this...it is nothing short of amazing for anyone to set a goal and acheive it. The smallest or the largest, it is of no consequence, because it is your own drive that will see it through no matter the cost or hardship.​
I wish you all, my friends and even those that are not, A very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Heres hoping this year will see our dreams come true!:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Very nicely stated as always.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday and to a better 2012 for you!

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As usual, your posts make me laugh or cry. I was doing ok till you got to the part about Snaps.

This is our first Christmas without my mom and our littlest girl Chloe. Mom and I didn't get along, but she was still my mom. It will surely be the last one for Ruby, my shadow, and possibly her sister Nikki as well.

This year starts new traditions. Both my daughters are now married, one with a stepson. Now, I have a grandson. I called Shirley grandma last night while she was wrapping presents. Hopefully this bruise will heal soon.

We realized that with our parents gone, we are the "Patriarchs" of the family. I don't remember applying for the position, but we'll do our best.

So, things change. Not always the way we like or expected, but that's the way of it.

Merry Christmas to all. Merry Christmas to our moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, chloe, snaps, and all those we have lost. We miss and love you all.

2012?? Bring it on!!

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Like Steve I can read others words and find myself in tears also..but its all good when you realize those words are heartfelt and carry alot of meaning from those that wrote them to those that read them....

Thanks Scott and Steve...as I smiled through tears also...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year To All...:)