911-- Tri-State help!

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Hi

Can anybody please tell me anything about Tri-State? (Good or bad)? New developments are steering me in that direction.

Also, to reply to ya'll, I want my own truck mostly so my wife can ride with me. She is going to drive soon, but until she can, she is going to ride along, to keep my business brain (such as it is), :) in gear. Thanx everybody, we appreciate all your advice (we're really learning a lot).

VanMan

Expert Expediter
I have been told that TriState is losing their....well you know.They lost a GM contract,and are taking loads off the internet.They have to be the cheapest expedite company to work for.Most rates are from 71 to 75 cents,for cargo vans.I have been told they keep the straight trucks running,if you don't mind,DEADHEADING a couple hundred miles to get the freight.You can't go over 550 miles a day in a straight truck,and it is real silly,but nothing over 600 miles with a cargo van.Anything over 600 miles in a cargo van and you normally have to transfer with another van,unless you get a weekend load or know someone.So you figure it out!! Nice thing is you don't have to sit where they tell you,you move where you want,or ask where they might want you.Tough decision,if it was me,I would work at Home Depot.Alot of drivers from TriState have moved onto pulling RV trailers,including office people.I have talked with Fleet owners and they are shifting their straight trucks to Landstar.You make the call.:)

witchita

Expert Expediter
Don't mean to nit pick but I think you need 411-information not 911-HELP!! LOL

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Hey, Wichita,

I don't know, Driver, but from some of what I've been reading, I might need 911 before it's all over. (Isn't that who ya call when you're drowning?) LOL (Thanks for the come back)

witchita

Expert Expediter
Well said, can't be that bad though. At least you've done alot of homework.Guess you've already got the 411 and really are lookin for the 911
( :: ) heres a band aid, hope it helps.LOL, Best of luck!

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Hey van man, next time before you post something, get your facts straight. It is 675 miles for a cargo van and Mike was the only one who left the company and went back to otr after he drove a cargo van for Tri-State for about 7 years. He worked contractor relations for a year and wanted to go back on the road. Also, GM posts all their loads on the internet thru a third party service called NLM and they don't use a lot of expediters. Do the research first, then post.

Thanks for your advice.;-)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would have serious reservations about tri-state. We had a truck there and they were ok until they lost their GM contract. They currently have quite a few trucks they lease through alumi-junk and don't have drivers. Who do you think is making those payments? When we dealt with them they would pay .20 cents for deadhead but burn you on the first and last 50 miles. The qualcomm would say you reached your destination and you wouldn't be anywhere close to were they were deadheading to. Then when you would get a load, you eat another 50 miles. Keep in mind also they pay $1.00 a mile but on HHG ratings. If you ran 1000 miles you get paid 800 to 850. When we called contractor relations they just said it was better to keep running. The average per mile would up being in the 60 to 70 cent rage per mile. You can't operate today at those rates. When they had GM it was the same except very small DH. When we left, they burn you on your escrow as well. Alot of extra charges plus extra insurance charge that they couldn't even explain. Like I said earlier, they were pretty good until they got into a financial mess.

lostroamer

Expert Expediter
Since the O/O parked the truck last week I too have been looking for a ride(job).
I have heard, by CB, that tri-star is being partnered(?) to Schnieder.
I wonder if this will be a good thing for the expediter or just getting the left overs from schiender.
Just wondering...
BTW..if anyone is looking for a driver let me know..thanks

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Rumors are like farts... everybody's heard 'em, but most of 'em are just hot air! :) :) :) Seriously, the rumor of Schneider picking up one of the expedite companies has been going around for some time... last I heard, the rumor was Panther tho... in fact, it's mentioned in another thread here too.

One things for sure... if one of them does get affiliated with Schneider, you will see big changes.. just like when Roberts went to FedEx.

Dreamer

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't partner with one of the larger carriers. With new HOS regs, they would have the ability to transfer alot of loads between trucks to keep it moving. Not a good situation for drivers as this means less pay, more sitting, shorter runs ect.