7 million is not enough?

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I've tried not to post this, because it's really obvious how stupid this situation is. I have a phrase that I've been using since I was about 19 (I'm 43 now). It is this: Money makes you stupid. the basic premise is this: People tend to lose a proportional amount of common sense based on the amount of money they make (or can potentially make). i.e, the banker who makes 250,000/year typically has a lot less common sense than the dock worker who makes 23,000 anually. This is not to say that all people who make massive amounts of money have no common sense, or that poor people have lots of common sense, because they don't. I'm stating as a rule, filthy rich people really seem to make stupid decisions that most of us find..................STUPID.
Lance Briggs, Bears Linebacker, would rather TAKE OUT A LOAN, and sit out the season? OK, first, why does he need a LOAN? what happened to the money he's made in the last three years? yeah, yeah, it was ONLY 700,000, but come on. Does he not realize that by not playing, he's typecasting himself as a whiner, and even if the bears do try and trade him, or release him, most teams are noting his behavior over the last 3-4 days. The smart thing to do would be shut the heck up, play for the 7 mil, and have confidence that Lovie is going to go to bat for him when the time comes to get a "long term" contract. right now, he may have burned too many bridges to back track. The statement "I will never play another down for the bears." may have been the kicker. Let's say he didn't say what he's said, and he played for the 7 mil, even if he left, his chances of making more money would be better, because he's now looked at as a "team player." many more teams would be interested in him after this season. even though I don't understand fully what being a "franchise player" is about, I know the bears can keep doing it to him again and again, according to the espn report from last night. sounds like a lose-lose situation, for him.
OK, so I ranted a little, but people who make lots of money that whine about more money just chaps my hide.

x(

Jayman

Expert Expediter
As in the situation with Colts and Dwight Freeney, the team has until July to make a long term deal. If I am not mistaken...

I understand your view. But, in Lance's defense...given his performance and achievements over the last 2 or 3 years...he should have been able to lock up a respectable long term contract with the Bears. Not sure why it didnt happen. Either he expected too much or the Bears didnt want to give him more than 7 mil. Or...they couldnt give him more. If you know, let me know. Enquiring minds want to know. lol

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
this would be his fourth year coming up, and weakside linebacker, IMO, is probably the easiest LB position to replace. Holdman and Colvin were in a similar situation, and they were easily replaced. There's a former Bears LB who sat out the 84 season (for some reason, his name escapes me, haven't had my morning java yet!) and he was just in the Chicago sun times stating that he regrets doing it,(missed the super bowl) and Lance is crazy for turning down the money. As stated before, if he really doesn't want to play for the bears anymore, He should play for the 7 million, then leave after next season....he's doing more harm to himself than he is to the bears. IMO, he's not the best at his position, but he does benefit greatly by playing on a good/great defense, and alongside Urlacher. Send him to the bengals, or cardinals, and lets see how he does. OH, Al Harris was the LB's name.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Briggs was offered a good contract last year, and he turned it down. Apparently, he wants to be paid more than Urlacher. The franchise tag pays him the average of the top five players at his position. If they use it again next year, it's the avg of the top three players. They can only use it twice. I think Briggs is more pizzed at losing control over his situation, so he does the only thing he can control... sit out. What a blubbering baby! I agree with JBR that he is as good as he is because of Urlacher. Look at Edge... tears em up in Indy, then goes where there's no OL and does average. I just don't think Briggs has a chance at being as good as he is now without having a great linebacker to funnel the running back into his arms; and that's exactly what happens in Chicago.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
I was going to mention that the last 3 linebackers (counting Briggs) seemed to have gotten really good stats, alongside Urlacher, then decide to leave, and they end up average at best. Just the fact that Briggs refused a contract offer last year makes me even more eager to pile on...it's not like the bears didn't want to keep him, he's just being greedy!!!!

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Hmmm...Dallas Clark? Maybe, but only if we got Briggs and Urlacher. :7

Oh yeah, I got my new jersey for the 07 season already! Wanted to get a Bethea one. But, they didnt have it. So, I got a Super Bowl replica #29 Joseph Addai. Had them on sale for $65 on the Colts web site. Decided last November that I would get a new jersey every year for a player I was proud of. Different one every year. Planned on sticking with D players since I started that way. Wore #93 Dwight Freeney during the 06 season. So...my new plan is to alternate between D and O every year. :)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Check out ebay for jerseys. I got 3 (two for me, one for the lady). They averaged around $40/piece for the GOOD ones. Granted, they're probably fakes, but who cares? Still good quality.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
Jayman, that's HILARIOUS. It's not like Dallas Clark is the 2nd coming of Kellen Winslow or Ozzie Newsome....but He WOULD be an upgrade over desmond clark. On a side note, I saw Peyton on letterman last night....was that an old show? He looked pretty dapper in his pinstripe suit...

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Must of been a Letterman rerun. Peyton was on about 4 weeks ago. Peyton is also hosting Saturday Night Live on the 24th of March.

I didnt say Dallas was the 2nd coming. LOL He is real good, but...I just said we would take Briggs and Urlacher without complaint. :7

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
JBR... Jerramy Stevens is available. With his brand new DUI and possession charge, he could be roomies with Tank. :7

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am in the exact same situation with my Carrier. Do ya here me out there C&M execs. 7 million this year guaranteed or no more freight on this truck!!!!

I always wanted to be a short stop anyway.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
UPDATE: Lance was told by Rod Woodson on the NFL network, in so many words, "stop whining and play." Rosenhaus, Briggs' agent, also was quoted as saying there were three teams that were "highly interested" in briggs, only to be contradicted by spokespersons from two of those teams. The cost for ANY team to trade for Lance is too high, I believe two of the three were washington and seattle....this is getting better as the weeks go by...;-)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't see Seattle paying that much, plus give up picks. If they do, they're fools. Briggs isn't as good as he looks. Besides... who are they going to replace? Tatupu? Julian Peterson? Hill isn't great, but he's probably just below Briggs on the skill level. Put Urlacher next to Hill and you could have another Briggs. ta-da :)

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
UPDATE: this is on ESPN.COM this morning.....Lance Briggs and the Redskins are close to making a trade happen. according to Drew Rosenhaus, the Skins and bears would swap 1st round draft picks, moving the bears to the #6 overall pick in the draft....if that happens, I have no idea who the bears would target. The redskins are stupid enough to make that deal, even though it would put them out of the draft next month until the 5th round, which would have been their 2nd pick! I know the Bears want an impact offensive player, but none of the TE's in the draft are worth a #6 pick, and the next WR taken after calvin johnson will probably be in the mid teens to early twenties. I'm thinking you go DT, with either Alan Branch from Michigan, or Amobi Okoye from Louisville. There really isn't even a LB in the draft who should be taken before 12-13th pick. we'll see what the next 2-3 days brings.....they need to get the deal done first....needless to say, I AM STOKED......:7