6-71 detroit

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know where I can find parts on the web for such an engine? The local Napa truck center doesnt even know what a 2 stroke diesel is, let alone any parts for it. I am looking for an alternator for it, I think its the orignal from 1955, the diodes didnt like the aircraft AGM battery I installed to power the old Greyhound:mad:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Junior, you're talking some of Detroit Diesels glory years. Actually, uh, ah the formative years. Excuse the public radio speak. But these engines were the main stay of the trucking, people mover (again excuse the public radio speak) and marine industries. Do an online search, yeah I know E.O. is an online kind of thing. There are so many of these engines out there, especially in inter-state buses that you should be able to find a hit on something related to alternator, ah actually basically a generator (that's what they were called back then and once again excuse me please for the public radio speak).

This post reminds me of our former colleague Diesel Phreak. He once posted a link of a Detroit going through the paces on a dyno. A recording of a Detroit V series could put Pzier out of business. Ah well um it may have an effect on some old truckers. Um, ah not me. I, uh like shell fish.

REV ON DUDE!

Poster's note: for those of you that have no revin' idea what I am talking about... never mind. You missed it!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool! No mistaking the high revving sound of a Detroit V series engine. Rob was your Brockway a conventional or cabover? I drove many a 1960's and 1970's vintage Macks. During this period Mack provided sheet metal from it's R and F models for Brockway.

For anyone who likes old trucks check out Hank's Truck Pictures.
Guaranteed days of fun looking through this collection of trucks and former truck lines.

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
it does have a nice sound, and suprisingly, the owner states 11 mpg at 65, aint too bad, **** those EPA folks, the hell do they know, when its 20 degrees in florida, they dont sound so preachy. The only thing I am having a problem with is that EVERYTHING is classic, I mean, orignal from the fifties, including the electrical, so finding the alt for this thing is going to be a nightmare :(

Last edited:

rob

Expert Expediter
Moot, It was a long nose. I moved to Cortland Ny in the late 80 and was in the old factory.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ahhh, the trusty 238. Keep it revin', keep downshiftin', and keep dumpin' in the gallons of oil. Has it run backwards on you yet?

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Ah yesssss. We had those little beauties in the 30' and 40' crash boats back in the old U.S.C.G.. Those things sounded great. That was back in the 60s so we called them Jimmys because they were made by GM Diesel. There was no such thing as Detroit Diesel yet. They were great engines and easy to work on. They did leak a little oil though. There is usually a small electric components rebuild shop in any large town. They should be able to rebuild your alternator/generator for you, if you bring it to them. Vehicles of that vintage also had voltage regulators that were very prone to failure so I would be looking at that too. Most of that stuff was Delco on those old buses and it should still be available. If you have problems, PM me and I may have a source for you.

baracade

Seasoned Expediter
My first time in a 18 wheeler was a 1973 GMC with a 6-71, 238 & a 10 speed roadranger. Man could that thing scream! The best pulling GM diesel was in 1974 when we got the Western Stars with the 6V-92TT , it has its own sound. The good ole days!!!

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for everyones help, finally found what i was looking for. If you ever pass through lake city, fl, and if you need any parts, stop by north florida truck parts and they will hook you up:D