6.0 or 7.3

Eric1

Active Expediter
Hello everyone, I was wondering if a few of you would give your opinions on a couple engines when compared side by side. One is the Gm 6.0 gas engine the other is Ford 7.3 diesel. GM has 28k on it Ford has a little over 100k

Just want to know which would be over all a better engine to go with (gas mileage, maintenance, power, etc)

BTW... It's in a pickup

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Diesel.
Pros.
It will outlast the chasis if you take care of it one million miles is the standard for diesels. Diesels also handle the heat form idling much better than gasoline engines so when your in traffic youre less likely to overheat. A hot diesel will actualy cool its self when idling. Much more durrable, and more efficient than gas depending on the year especialy pre-emmisions. 100,000 its not even broken in again as long as it has been taken care of also helps to keep your van warm when parked more metal takes longer to cool off.
Parts with some exceptions for powers stroke engines can be bought at most parts stores and online.
Upgrades are also available. Just make sure you have the cooling system and drive line to handle it.

Now the ugly.

More expensive to maintain and buy parts for So take it to a good diesel / work truck mechanic I dont care if you took auto shop in school have a diesel guy look at it he will know the issues that paticular motor is known for an un-bias opinion is typically better than ours.
There are several different models or series of any motor even gas depending on the year of vehicle take the vin number to a dealership and ask the service manager if that series engine, trans, and drive axle is known for problems make sure you tell him what you plan to do with the van.
You will need diesel an additive like howes lubricator not a big deal cost wise if you have a smaller vehicle it will last several tank fills. especialy an anti jell durring the winter I run howes year round because ultra low sulfer diesel is garbage and I value my fuel pump and injectors. With Ford Vans find out if they need to raise the body off the chasis as with F series trucks for top end work due to clearence issues with valve covers, head gaskets, injectors, and turbo . No, im not pulling your chain they actualy lift the cab and box with pickups to work on the motor.
By the way, even this in not a deal breaker a good tech can have it in the air in abbout an hour quicker on a good day. Other than that I would go with the Diesel as long as it all checks out even if they have to do a body lift.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless you're going to be towing or doing heavy duty work I'd go with the gasser. Typically lower fuel cost vs diesel, much cheaper maintenance cost, mpg probably the same, and way quieter. Starting with a low mileage unit like that there's no reason not to get 6-700k from the 6.0.
I'm guessing it's newer as well since I think 03 was the last year for the Power Stroke?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
what scott said....unless you are going to work it heavy, the gasser for everyday stuff...mileage, mine has gotten up to an avg of 14.8-15.2 since i installed the K&N air filter....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the 6.0 in my 2009 G3500. I average 16.x mpg easily without trying and when I drive solely for mpg I can get into the 18's. It has been a good engine so far. I did have the MAF sensor replaced a few thousand miles ago along with one catalytic converter. Other than that I've had no engine problems. I have no experience with the 7.3 so I can't give any comparison. I can say I am satisfied with my 6.0 and if I were in the market for another vehicle I would definitely consider another 6.0 at this point. Good luck.

DST001

Expert Expediter
The 7.3 diesel is bullet proof great motor easy to get work done as well as the 6 liter gm gass I would go with the diesel you will use less fuel than gas motor in the long run and it can handel bio diesel or waste motor oil mix with pump diesel as well no problem just my 2 cents worth

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless you're going to be towing or doing heavy duty work I'd go with the gasser. Typically lower fuel cost vs diesel, much cheaper maintenance cost, mpg probably the same, and way quieter. Starting with a low mileage unit like that there's no reason not to get 6-700k from the 6.0.
I'm guessing it's newer as well since I think 03 was the last year for the Power Stroke?

I didnt know 6 to 700,000 on a gasoline.
2003 they started putting EGR valves not a huge disaster but 2007 the EPA ruined the diesel eingine