53' dry van expediter special

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got an under beam lift kit installed on my trailer today. This is a good upgrade if you run a lot of lightweight freight. My deadhead is at 23% the past 3 years and conservatively half the loads I haul are under 20,000 lbs although I don't keep numbers on actual loaded weights. I'm pretty sure at least 65% of the time the truck is running down the highway - or easily over 30,000 miles - that the front axle will be 3" up in the air saving tire wear and maybe even a little fuel. This trailer is set up just the way I want it and I'm looking forward to 10 years of good service.

lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift6.jpg

Last edited:

gandrimp

Rookie Expediter
I can see these working as described on the interstate/flat roads, But in my area, I have to wonder if the expense is ever worth it. We have hills, at the bottom of each of course is a culvert. Every culvert settles, so there is a dip in the asphalt. At each dip in the asphalt there are thousands of 8' long dually black marks going both directions. So how much rubber is burned off in 8' and what kind of shock to the system is it to go from stopped to 60 mph in 8' ? I hope it works for you and you see a return on your investment.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is a concern, only time will tell. Tomorrow will be the first load ever with axle up 6,000 lbs going 265 miles.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not working out as well as I had hoped with any sort of load which is disappointing. On the other hand I had 477 deadhead miles this week which is typical for ordinary weeks. I want to see about cutting the bump stops down or swapping them out. I only need an extra 1" of lift and it should be just right for empty and also loads under 10,000 lbs. Just have some very slight scuffing on occasion when empty with it up. Not enough to screw up my tires but enough that I don't like it.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heavier is a no go. With that first initial 6,000 lb load I ended up putting it back down to the ground after 50 miles. Did a few expedites this week with lighter weights (rough estimates is what they were) and still kept it down. Needs just a hair more lift. For now with any 1 pallet (or a few light ones in the nose) expedites it will be great and the deadhead miles also. I'll get ito closer to like I want it when this weather warms up a little.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been a month since this upgrade. 6,290 total hub miles driven. 3,619 miles, or 57%, with the axle lifted off the ground. 700 of those miles with the axle up were loaded miles and the rest were empty miles. A 350 lb 1 pallet load going 380 miles and the one I completed this morning 5 pallets approximately 1,000 lbs going 320 miles. Still could use a tad more lift but overall I'm really pleased with the upgrade.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Keep updating, please. You're giving me some decent ideas. :cool:

I'll officially be back in a rig in April. Better stay off the road, everyone. :eek:

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're looking at new trailers it would be best (imo) to spec Hendrickson smartlift suspension a $3,500 upgrade over typical Hendrickson suspension. I believe it lifts higher on the smartlift suspension. Bridgestone has spec'd smartlift on their new Utility dry vans. That's the only thing I'd do differently. My other specs are good for my needs.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would automatically lift the front axle as soon as the trailer brakes were released as long as there was no more than 20,000 lbs sensed as the weight on the rear axles. No driver input is required with the smart lift it's automatic. Mine is technically not supposed to be lifted when loaded. If I've got any load at all over the rear axles then they both have to be down. There is just not enough lift. If I can get an inch more out of it I might be able to run more with the axle up on some of these "heavier" light loads.