3588 lbs in Ram PM

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
Just completed a run from NC to MI loaded with 3588 lbs worth of rear ends. The PM handled well, and never felt under powered. image.jpg

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Question, how much weight can you legally carry in your PM ???? I know they carry a little more than a Sprinter but 3600#, really !!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As you know CV's are unregulated.....so hence there is no "Legal or illegal" really....just what exceeds "manufacturers recommended limits" the problem is.....get in an accident and IF the lawyer actually spots or the investigating officer spots that you were exceeding those recommendations...there is a good chance of getting your butt sued to the highest level...and your carriers....as well...the only charge I can think of to make it illegal is....
Operating a vehicle in an unsafe matter....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Other than that the only thing I can think of is having good common sense and a care for the safety of others if something should break !!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than that the only thing I can think of is having good common sense and a care for the safety of others if something should break !!!

Its all about the $$$$$$ always... Tom.....as slow as things have been for CV's of late....I am quite sure a few are crossing that line...out of desperation....

Think of them carpet/flooring vans .....we've all seen them with the bumper dragging on the ground almost....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hear you and I'm sure, but even in desperation we have to keep our head about us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hear you and I'm sure, but even in desperation we have to keep our head about us.
over the years I've been tempted to give in to that 1 load...but once you sell out....That kind of weight should be your load....my thinking..want to take heavy?...drive a straight...:p

Reactions: in-Transit

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think some are rated at 4000 lbs before you start subtracting for fuel, you and personal gear.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
That's what I thought, so it's very close depending on whether there is a " sleeper " or not !!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My PM's GVWR is 9350lbs minus 5520 scaled weight, leaves me with 3830 lb. so I can Carry 3600 plus p/u a husky chic along the way
Thank you for your numbers....nothing like whistling in the wind....LOL...:p

Just checked with a buddy..the 2500 series is rated at 8900 gross....he isn't the extended model...

Last edited:
Reactions: in-Transit

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
the only charge I can think of to make it illegal is....
Operating a vehicle in an unsafe matter....
Being overweight in and of itself isn't unsafe - you'll have to do something unsafe to get you pulled over. Whether it's a car, van or a big truck, if you go slow enough, you can haul almost anything safely.

Where it actually becomes illegal (except in states where they have laws on the books prohibiting you from exceeding weight limits on the axles), is when you weigh more than 10,000 pounds, and you don't have a medical card and a log book at the ready.

The goal, of course, is not to see how heavy you can get loaded and run safely, but rather to see how many light loads you can haul. The lighter the load the less wear and tear on wear components, and the better the fuel mileage.

My first Ford E-350 van had a GVWR of 9600 pounds. The previous owner had it officially uprated with extra heavy duty everything all around, and had a new upfitter plate on the door. I was 5200 pounds empty, so I could carry 4600 pounds. But I never carried more than 3100. I was listed in the computer at 3000 pounds.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being overweight in and of itself isn't unsafe - you'll have to do something unsafe to get you pulled over. Whether it's a car, van or a big truck, if you go slow enough, you can haul almost anything safely.

Where it actually becomes illegal (except in states where they have laws on the books prohibiting you from exceeding weight limits on the axles), is when you weigh more than 10,000 pounds, and you don't have a medical card and a log book at the ready.

The goal, of course, is not to see how heavy you can get loaded and run safely, but rather to see how many light loads you can haul. The lighter the load the less wear and tear on wear components, and the better the fuel mileage.

My first Ford E-350 van had a GVWR of 9600 pounds. The previous owner had it officially uprated with extra heavy duty everything all around, and had a new upfitter plate on the door. I was 5200 pounds empty, so I could carry 4600 pounds. But I never carried more than 3100. I was listed in the computer at 3000 pounds.

I was with a Canadian carrier way back yore....over 2,000 lbs they paid .05 a pound...

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
The chassis may be able to "legally" haul that weight but in time that drive train may have other things to day about that. Something a lot of people don't think about when excepting these 3000+ pound loads. It's really hard on the truck.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I doubt if they get the load positioned exactly right to keep the axle weights from being over the ratings.