3126 Engine problems

Woodworker

Expert Expediter
I own a 99 Freightliner FL60 (26000 lb) with a 3126B Cat engine. (mileage 344,000).
Two weeks ago, I had a problem when the injector cups leaked, and diesel fuel was pumping into my engine coolant. I took it to a Freightliner shop, where they replaced them. After driving approximately 600 miles, the engine lost power, and the truck was towed into an independent repair shop. I showed them the repair slip from Freightliner, and they were surprised that the oil had not been changed during the repair in case coolant had leaked into the oil

They found that the high pressure pump that drives the injectors had failed, and replaced it.

After they got the truck running, there was a loud squeal in the engine. They pulled the oil pan, and found the #2 rod bearing was bad, and the crankshaft is now bad.

The truck is at J&L Fleet services in Osseo, WI.

I am looking for advice about what is the best route to take to get the truck repaired. Should I try to get my engine rebuilt, find a rebuilt short block, or go with a remanufactured engine?

I am also wondering if not changing the oil during the first repair could possibly be the cause of the present problem.

Any information you may give me will be very much appreciated.

Woodworker

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
sleeveless engine, reman is best bet. had one done in fargo, nd 15,000$ Had 2 "rebuilds" done ranging form 6k to 9k, neither worth it.

-charlee

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i am driving an fl80 with a reman 3126 in it. the owner said it cost 10-15k. he has had the overhead done twice. this motor runs real sweet and is very smooth. i would suggest a reman also.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A reman is likely the best choice, but is expensive. A rebuild can be an alternative but you really have to know what caused the intial engine failure in the first place.
These can be pretty durable engines. The last one we sold had over 800,000 on it and it ran great.
We still have a C7 in our fleet and it is close to 500,000. Only repair was $700 for a new injector. A shorted injector wire. Not that bad and fixed in a couple of hours.
I am beginning to think that it isn't really the engine manufacturer that matters, but what day of the week it was built.

Last edited: