3126 Cat Motor Parts

G

Just Wanted to Let Everyone know about Cat is letting all of us down.
One of Our Trucks had 2 injectors go bad and Fyda Freightliner of Youngstown called all over to find 2 injectors for the 3126 Cat motor that is in this truck. Fyda of Youngstown Are Great people to deal with and I have been Dealing With These folks for 5 yrs now. But I can't understand Cat Not Having injectors at over 20 difrent Dealers we called and saying that it would take 3 weeks to get one. Makes think about buying another Cat motor.

Just my Thought's I have been on here in a few months because of being back on the road. Just wanted to say Hi to Davek and Leo.

David Mayfield

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hi back at you.
With regards to you injectors, that time frame (3 weeks) doesn't seem right.
I can have them next day freight right from CAT in IL.
This may help or at least tell you if you are getting the straight information. They have access to the large Chicago warehouse or direct ship from Peoria.

Commercial Truck Division
Patten Industries
815-965-8631

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good to hear from you again but would be better if the circumstances were different. Good luck getting a faster result somewhere. Keep us posted how things are going.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

G

Thanks Dave

I will keep that number for the next time I need parts. I hope all is going Great for you and Leo this time of the year. Things seem to be slow for us but, not as bad as I thought. Each truck is doing really good for this time of the year. I hope everyone is doing great and looking foward to a great 2006

:7

Finn777

Expert Expediter
Went into freightliner dealer last week for a simple radiator hose for a cat 3126. This was in milwaukee they siad there was only 3 in the country and they were all at a distribution wharehouse in memphis 2 days to get one.They have to do better than that

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I feel your pain on the radiator hoses. Just went through that experience last month.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
> I use Ohio CAT in Sharonville Ohio. In fact had trouble last night and stopped in this morning and they had me fixed in three hours. Timing sensor. They did my injectors about a month ago in eight hours. Adjusted my valves back in August in a couple hours and a Huey pump last Tuesday. In at 0600 out by 1300.

You may want to call them. I have never been to them when they did not help me. I actually started going to them because FYDA In Sharonville was to expensive and took at least a week no matter what the problem.

Raceman
OTR O/O

GrannyTruckr

Expert Expediter
I have had an on going problem with a 3126 Cat since November. Had truck to three different Cat dealers, MHC in Dallas, Thompson Power in Nashville and now Michigan Cat. No one has been able to find the problem. The truck will run fine up to about 50 MPH, then it seems as though there is a fuel restriction. There is no power unless you happen to go down a hill, then truck will run up to 65-70 MPH and stay at that speed until you go up a hill. Dallas replaced the Heuy oil pump, Nashville replaced the fuel lines, both intake and return. Ran the rack and replaced the O rings on the injectors. MI Cat has replaced the turbo, boost sensor, computer, and check valve on head. Still the same problem. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Granny Trucker

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A ECM log test would indicate a fault at any of the sensors. Fuel related issues should have been addressed when they replaced the hoses. A fuel pressure test would have determined if there was any issues at this point. Have the run this test again to ensure there isn't a seizure under load from the fuel pump.
The last place after your listed repairs is the aftercooler. If tested at idle speeds, it will not show a problem. It needs to be tested under load. Very common place for your described problem if everything else checked out through a dyno,fuel,and ECM tests.
Keep in mind also that the weight of the truck may be the issue with it appearing to accelerate faster down the hills.
The next question is, has this truck performed better than you have experienced since you have had it?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cadillack

Expert Expediter
I had problems going up hill with my truck and was thinking about having the horse power bumped up to 280. They re-set the perimatures and this helped alot. I wasn't reaching 250 hpw until 70mph now full horsepower at 45 mph.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Granny we had the same problem with our cat,And after several hundred dollars and different dealers we found out that we had several bad fuel filters,After we changed them 5-6 different times the problem cleared up and never came back...I hope this helps....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Incorrect or restrictive filters will give you your symptoms as posted, but if a pressure test was performed correctly, it should have picked this up. That is assuming it was done correctly.......big if?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

raceman

Veteran Expediter
The 3126 is not a strong engine but will flat out roll with weight on and ran at 65 and up. Many reasons for this but what you describe is not all that odd. I have had two of these and still drive one everyday. I have found it has a sweet spot of about 65 and that does need weight on. If you hit that and are carrying, oh 2000 or more and you hold it right there it will go up a mountain side and keep on rolling. You let it drop off, not one bit of power.

You may have dirty filters and it will add to the problem but let me assure you it is that engine and rear end gear combo. Practice your driving of it and once you master it, it is not all that bad. I do agree it is like no other sit up I have ever driven. Why CAT has not explained this to you, hmmmmm? I may know why they have not but they really should. It was explained to me after my complaining about it over and over as well.

Raceman
OTR O/O

GrannyTruckr

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the input. Been running this truck for 4+ years now, and have been very happy with the engine performance. This problem just came about this last Nov. It didn't happen all the time at first now it happens more often then not. When it is running good we hate to turn the key off cause we never now how it will run when we start it back up. We have changed the fuel filters many times, have PM's done at 10K at Speedco. We have used both Cat and Baldwin filters. It will go up to 25RPM in all gears but 6TH, where we are getting 50MPH and only 19RPM. Pedal to the floor.

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
Have any of the mechanics checked for a possible governor problem?

How do you find that motor with a six speed? I drove a 2002 fl80 with a 300hp cat and a ten speed. While it was a pain in the butt in the city, it was a great set up for out on the highway. 14,000lbs in the box and hold your own in the hills. The company left the governor turned up to 78 on the cruise and 80 on the pedal.

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Tom Tinker Retired Hi o/o I know from reading your forums you are up on things. I'v read old forums didn't see this. When I worked for Michigan Kenworth in cores and returns, Cat was the hardest to work with, very strick on amount of damage to part or they wouldn't give core charge back, turbo wall scored by fin 50% and broken shaft 0 refund.
I took turbo to Cummis in pcs, didn't think I had a chance for core credit they gave 100%. I told them I was not expecting much, they said it was replaced because it broke. Just heads up lots of Cats out there
first sign of trouble get it taken care of ,I think most of you do this anyway. Thank You Tom Tinker:)

P.S. U.A.W retired 20yrs shipping hate to hear stories of miss treating drivers. I apologies for these a** h**** Sorry for language
couldn't find right words in dictionary.
Sincerely Tom Tinker;-)