3 Weeks Away

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is only about 2 to 3 weeks off from the prime jigging time on the Detroit River and Lake Erie for walleye. The early part of the season is when the biggest fish are caught. The big fish are always "hen fish" heavy with eggs. If a person was able to jig the river for 5 days there is a very good chance of a 10lb+ walleye. These big fish are not very good eating and I always put back any walleye over 20" long. The best "legal eaters" are the 15" to 18" "jacks". In the old days the 13" to 15" were called "number ones". They are soooo sweet it is beyond belief. The last week of April through the 2nd week in May, depending on water temps, sees a "turn on" post spawn feeding binge of these "jacks". It is more than possible to put a limit of fish in the boat in a hour or less during this time. My favorite time.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Stuck in the area so took a short tour thru the Pt.Mouille area today.
Some nice perch are coming out of the area of the DNR office and parking lot..Guys are sitting in lawn chairs and taking em from the shore. Casting out about 25 or 30 yards.
If some freight dont show up soon, looks like its my excuse to run to walmart and buy a new rod and reel for the truck :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Stuck in the area so took a short tour thru the Pt.Mouille area today.
Some nice perch are coming out of the area of the DNR office and parking lot..Guys are sitting in lawn chairs and taking em from the shore. Casting out about 25 or 30 yards.
If some freight dont show up soon, looks like its my excuse to run to walmart and buy a new rod and reel for the truck :D

That area is one of my most favorite places on the earth. I was raised just a few miles north of there and am happy to say that I AM a "Riverrat"!!!! Wonder if my dad was out there?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
That area is one of my most favorite places on the earth. I was raised just a few miles north of there and am happy to say that I AM a "Riverrat"!!!! Wonder if my dad was out there?

Looks like we can even get the straight trucks back in there..Looks like a nice lil fishing hole and a place to lit the grill.
I plan on calling that feild office and asking if there is any restrictions on commecial trucks back in there..Thats where the waterfowl festivals are held correct??

Does Dad have a lil beagle tied to the retaining walls?
Thats bout the only guy I spent time talking with :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looks like we can even get the straight trucks back in there..Looks like a nice lil fishing hole and a place to lit the grill.
I plan on calling that feild office and asking if there is any restrictions on commecial trucks back in there..Thats where the waterfowl festivals are held correct??

Does Dad have a lil beagle tied to the retaining walls?
Thats bout the only guy I spent time talking with :D

Yes, that is where we hold the waterfowl festival. No, my dad does not have a dog.

I don't know about commercial trucks. The place can handle the weight but I don't know if they restrict them.

The water there is very shallow, not as good fishing as one would think.

There are many better places in the area.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The water there is very shallow, not as good fishing as one would think.

There are many better places in the area.

The old boy I was talking with said there was a cut that they dredged out awhile ago & that was why he was casting 20 or so yards out to get on the edge of it...
The guys where pulling up the perch in pretty good numbers.

Without the boat with me it looks like a place I could be very happy sitting and passing time (waiting on dispatch) while drowning some worms and grilling the hot dogs

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The old boy I was talking with said there was a cut that they dredged out awhile ago & that was why he was casting 20 or so yards out to get on the edge of it...
The guys where pulling up the perch in pretty good numbers.

Without the boat with me it looks like a place I could be very happy sitting and passing time (waiting on dispatch) while drowning some worms and grilling the hot dogs

The deepest part of the channel out there is only about 6ft deep and that that is along the river channel. That area is the mouth of the Huron River. It has not been dredged for a very long time.

Yeah, it is ok for drowning worms. Maybe when I am home in late April I can show you a spot or two, all bank fishing areas.

There are some where you can access 20' deep water and even have a shot at the odd walleye or two.

Let me know if you need more info, I know most everyone who works out there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Update: They a killing the big walleye on the "River" right now. They are only catching the big spawning "hens" at this time. Lots of fish in the 5 - 10lb class. That foolishness should be over by the end of the month. Then the "Number 1's" the good eaters will light up. Those are the smaller "jacks". They go on a feeding binge as soon as the spawn is over. They run from 13-18 inches. That is the best size for flavor. On the "River" and Lake Erie the 13-14" fish are no longer legal :( so I only keep fish in the 15-19" range. All fish over 20" go back.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Fishing this time of year isnt allways a good idea,,taking the females isnt a good idea sometimes..
Like that charter captian out of St.Joe that made headline news a few years back
(Capt Jack I think)Made a big issue about the low numbers of perch coming out of St.Joe area and then when Q what his bussiness was supported on,,it turned he made all his money on the spawning perch early in the season.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fishing this time of year isnt allways a good idea,,taking the females isnt a good idea sometimes..
Like that charter captian out of St.Joe that made headline news a few years back
(Capt Jack I think)Made a big issue about the low numbers of perch coming out of St.Joe area and then when Q what his bussiness was supported on,,it turned he made all his money on the spawning perch early in the season.

Taking those females out won't affect this area unless it is a bad spawning year. They are just not that good eating!! The Western Basin of Lake Erie has severl MILLION walleye and they spawn in the waters of Ohio, the Maumee and Detroit Rivers. Only a million or so come up the Detroit River. The bulk of the fish spawn on the offshore reefs or the Maumee.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I never have mastered the walleye but still go after em mostly in Saginaw..Someday Ill get the hang of it..I just had a few days off fishing the St.Joe Peir last week,,Maybe if I have a good 2 weeks out here Ill shutdown and try it over there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never have mastered the walleye but still go after em mostly in Saginaw..Someday Ill get the hang of it..I just had a few days off fishing the St.Joe Peir last week,,Maybe if I have a good 2 weeks out here Ill shutdown and try it over there.

Try it around my area in about 2-3 weeks. Vertical jig, 1/2-1oz jigs, chartruse with eyes, 1/2 nightcrawler. Fish my rock. I quit fishing there when number 60 for the year gets boated. I don't take that many anymore, not home enough to eat them. I will be home for two weeks starting on the 25th this month. I have some minor surgery on the 27, will recover (while working on the boat) on the 28th and fish the "River" starting on the 29th!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Try it around my area in about 2-3 weeks. Vertical jig, 1/2-1oz jigs, chartruse with eyes, 1/2 nightcrawler. Fish my rock. I quit fishing there when number 60 for the year gets boated. I don't take that many anymore, not home enough to eat them. I will be home for two weeks starting on the 25th this month. I have some minor surgery on the 27, will recover (while working on the boat) on the 28th and fish the "River" starting on the 29th!

No wonder with those numbers I cant get any..:D

Well we talked about getting out on the river for the 4th of july fireworks,,not sure how far up river that is but it maybe a good time to meet up,,we talked bout it in past maybe this hoilday weekend we could work somethig out..

Good luck at the Doctors..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No wonder with those numbers I cant get any..:D

Well we talked about getting out on the river for the 4th of july fireworks,,not sure how far up river that is but it maybe a good time to meet up,,we talked bout it in past maybe this hoilday weekend we could work somethig out..

Good luck at the Doctors..

You have to go WAY up "River" for those fireworks and be there the day before if you want a place to park your boat.

The doctor is no biggee. Just a little nip and tuck around my eye to fix some problems with my eyelid, have trouble keeping it open. Old army thing. A few hours as the VA. ONE day at home then fishing. I have to stay off two weeks. Doctor has a follow up during the second week. Oh well, more time to fish.