3 New Year's Resolutions for 2016

ATeam

Retired Expediter
From the weekly newsletter I write for our gym members:

Make a SMART New Year’s Resolution

Most people who make New Year’s resolutions fail to keep them. That makes perfect sense. The barriers to change that exist on Jan 1 probably existed in the months or years leading up to New Year’s Day. If all you do is utter a few words and count it as a new resolution, you will almost certainly fail since there is nothing magic in the words themselves and the barriers to change will likely persist.

SMART offers a smarter approach. In goal setting, SMART stands for specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound. Using the classic weight loss goal as an example, the following statement follows this formula. “I will lose 50 lbs. by year-end 2016.” It is specific (50 lbs.), measurable (step on the scale), attainable (plenty of time to get it safely done), relevant (meaningful for an overweight person who does not want to be overweight), and time-bound (year-end 2016).

It may be even more effective to say “I will lose one pound a week every week in 2016.” With 52 weeks in the year, tthat will get you to the same place but in a more time-bound fashion, keeping you focused week by week and eliminating the ability to put action off until next month.

When setting a SMART goal, pay special attention to the attainable part. Big goals can be discouraging. Setting and achieving one small goal after another puts you in a more successful frame of mind. Big goals lead many people to give up and then justify the failure. Small goals lead people in the right direction one step at a time. Over time, small goals produce big results.

It’s better to set small goals and celebrate the little victories than to set a big goal and celebrate nothing at all.