2nd fuel tank?

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any one you run 2 fuel tanks? I've been told u can get 2nd added on. That could be a money saver when ur in the area with cheap gas prices

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The flip side of that coin, since every coin has two sides, is you are carrying around more weight all the time and your maximum cargo weight just went down by the total weight of tank and fuel. You also have more fittings etc. so more spots for potential leaks.

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My max payload is 3900 so that 400 wouldn't hurt me as I only once had 3800 loaded.

The leaks part is what would be worrying me. Hmmmm...there always has to be two sides to the coin huh? :)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I know you can get a 52 gallon tank for a gm van...it's just taller...been thinking of it

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice 52 gallons is twice of what I have one.

Maybe instead of a 2nd fuel tank i should try and find just one but bigger.

Right now I can fit 24 gallons in my promaster.

Gotta look into it

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No but that 400 extra will take a toll on your brakes and other components.... Up a hill extra fuel , down a hill more wear on brakes

GrassHopperr

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point.

As always there is pros and cons of everything.

It just would be nice to fill up 50 gallons for 3.25 on the road and get home where gas is 4$ a gallon. Still have 25 gallons left.

Also propane is another thing I considered.

I know a propane wouldn't pass emission test on when vehicle starts. But I guess you can have a gasoline tank to start the vehicle on and the flip the switch to propane.....

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No but that 400 extra will take a toll on your brakes and other components.... Up a hill extra fuel , down a hill more wear on brakes

No wear on brakes, Promasters go directly, and automatically, to low gear, when descending, remember ?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thought about it back in 2005 when I bought my Sprinter, but decided against it since it wasn't needed. I have a 26 gal tank and it lasts for 600+ miles. I usually pass through a cheaper state by the time I burn through 26 gallons. Gotta love a diesel.

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter
I own two cube vans, 9 mpg, 33 gallon tank can't find a 52 gallon gm tank used, new 52 gallon tank over 1,000.00, requires a different sending unit and pump, 575.00 for that. So bought a 12 gallon marine tank, cut the fuel fill rubber hose, install two tees in fill line, first one with port down, second port up. Port down has street ell to fill second tank, (auxiliary), port up has street ell to pump fuel from auxiliary tank into main tank. Went to marine store to get the correct sealer to seal all connections as most sealers are attacked by either gasoline, or diesel fuel. Put second pump on auxiliary tank with check valves to be able to pump to either main fuel tank, or generator. Marine tank 12 gallon, increased our range to about 300 miles between fillups.

Sent from my SCH-I545

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter
Yes vehicles can run on propane and gasoline, and if properly modified should pass emission trsting, they run forklifts on propane inside buildings because of the reduced emissions. However, if propane, would not be able to use tunnels. RV' S are restricted from tunnels because of the propane. There are more places that have propane refill stations, also compressed liquefied natural gas. But not positive about restrictions on the LNG. Some trucking fleets are ordering new trucks to run on either of the two.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I own two cube vans, 9 mpg, 33 gallon tank can't find a 52 gallon gm tank used, new 52 gallon tank over 1,000.00, requires a different sending unit and pump, 575.00 for that. So bought a 12 gallon marine tank, cut the fuel fill rubber hose, install two tees in fill line, first one with port down, second port up. Port down has street ell to fill second tank, (auxiliary), port up has street ell to pump fuel from auxiliary tank into main tank. Went to marine store to get the correct sealer to seal all connections as most sealers are attacked by either gasoline, or diesel fuel. Put second pump on auxiliary tank with check valves to be able to pump to either main fuel tank, or generator. Marine tank 12 gallon, increased our range to about 300 miles between fillups.

Sent from my SCH-I545
Or, another way to look at it is, most everyone out here is spending roughly $4.00 a gallon fuel, while you're spending $8.00 a gallon.