213 Vans for DHL Express México

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
213 Vans for DHL Express México | MYVAN
The Sprinter is the only van powered with a natural-gas engine in Mexico. 15 Sprinter with such an engine roll over Mexican roads. The delivery for DHL Express México from the end of November comprises 181 Sprinter, 32 Vitos and 5 Smart “Black & White”.

The natural-gas powered Sprinter from type 316 NGT offer a forward-looking mixture with power, profitability and eco-friendliness. This combination achieves more and more significance in the segment of commercial vehicles.

The engine of the Sprinter 316 NGT can also be operated with fuel, which is a great advantage for less developed regions in the world. When the vehicle is running in natural gas mode the fuel consumption and costs are reduced significantly. Therefore the CO2 emissions are lower as in fuel or diesel mode.

With the order and delivery of the vehicles Mercedes-Benz and DHL confirm their collective engagement for environment protection. Recently DHL Express México renewed their complete fleet: the total costs are about 136 millions of Mexican pesos (about 8 million Euros).

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Why would you wonder???? Amazing.......ain't it????

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think because we now have DEF don't know if running NG And Def is compatible

Should make no difference. The def system and power system are two different things. Def is injected into the exhaust system.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep in mind it is only our stupid EPA that requires DEF...I be betting these Euro and Mexico vans don't use DEF...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
They probably don't, but DEF is produced from NG.

As xiggi said, the DEF is used in the exhaust while NG is used in the intake. There could be a reaction, but I don't see it. I'll do some research on it later. There is a lot of info out there on NG conversions.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters are so over engineered I hate to think....I mean we even have an oil filter where the exhaust is filtered and any extra oil is returned to the engine...that is why we don't go thru so much...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand why their using a diesel engine for it to begin with. Gas engines seem to be much better conversions?

The diesel engines, from what I have read, are still required to burn a % of diesel. Since there are no spark plugs, there has to be enough diesel in the cylinder to combust via compression which, in turn, ignites the NG. That is my understanding... from researching after market conversions.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
After reading that article again, I'm not sure that they're not a gas/ng bi-fuel engine. It does say they are bi-fuel but it doesn't specify gas or diesel...does it?