2017 Hino 268 with an oil leak...

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2107 268 with 96500kms
So I had an oil leak so I dropped it at my local Hino Dealer.
Here is what they found...
We found the rocker box and the oil pan gasket are leaking and will need to be replaced. We would need to order the injector pipes from the United States, two to three days away. All other parts are in stock or can be ordered for next day. Please see the attached estimate for your authorization.
I am wondering what may cause this issue or is it a known problem for the JO8E engine?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's a known issue. The head gaskets leak externally, the rocker boxes can leak, and the oil pan gasket can leak. The oil coolers on earlier trucks were notorious leakers, but some improvements were made in that regard. Some engines never leak at all, and some puke fluids from every orifice.

Reactions: Hino123

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply. I just thought it was a little strange for this to happen to a 4 year old truck. The truck is not abused by any means. I feel better knowing it's a common issue but don't feel better about the $4500 bill...

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes, I understand your frustration. When we sell a new truck, we keep a close eye on it and the warranty. We try to cover as much under warranty as possible.

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I’n the USA the cam housing/ Rocker box re-seal is covered for 5yrs 250,000 miles. The oil pan gasket is covered under the base 2yr warranty. I am not sure in Canada, but the cam housing re-seal would be a warrantable failure in the USA. I would double check that. Also if you are not replacing the injectors you can re-use the 6 fuel injector feed lines. If you are replacing the injectors then they would need to be replaced. The fuel return line MUST be replaced as well as the 7 rocker shaft bolts. The cam housings were notorious leakers as greasy stated. I was re-sealing 4-5 a week In 2017. God luck, post an update on how it turns out.