2017 Hino 268 Starting Issue

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi, I've been having a starting issue with my Hino. It's a 2017 268.
For the past 2 weeks my truck will not start when I try to turn the key. It's intermittent but sometimes it won't start at all.There are no dash lights or anything but there is power, the radio and blower fan, headlights, etc do work, but the truck will not start or even attempt to, I did turn the key on and off about 10-15 times today and the dash finally did light up and I was able to start the truck. Sometimes, its 3 times I turn the key and then the next it may just start up on the first attempt. I have had connections cleaned and all the major wiring to the starter cleaned. Fuses checked. I have replaced the batteries, ignition. Is there a relay or solenoid that could be bad or maybe this?
I came across recalls for Hino trucks but mine is 2 years older than this recall...

Hino Trucks is recalling 13,700 conventional body trucks because the ground cable between the negative battery terminal and frame may be too short, preventing one in five trucks from restarting after being turned off.

If a truck is unable to restart, it cannot be moved to a safe area. That increases the risk of an accident or collision, according to Hino’s report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The Toyota Motor subsidiary reported no crashes or injuries due to the issue, which was discovered by a dealer who found a broken ground cable connecting the negative battery terminal to the frame terminal.

All Class 6-7 conventional 2020-21 models built between January 2019 and April this year in Mineral Wells, West Virginia, are included in the recall. Hino expects 20% of the recalled trucks to have the issue.

Hino eliminated an extension bracket between the negative battery terminal and the ground cable without increasing the cable length.That may cause the frame side terminal to break due to fatigue during bending stress when tightened in an upward direction.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The recall does not apply to your truck. Yes, it could be a relay issue, someone capable with a multimeter needs to get in there and check the power path through the relays down to the starter solenoid. Since it's intermittent, troubleshooting it will probably be more difficult.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I had a truck come in today with the same symptoms. Power relay #3 had failed. Unfortunately, while the fuses have labeling to identify them, the multitude of relays do not. Power relay #3 is in the top row, third from the right.

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Awesome! I found it in a relay diagram you sent to someone else in 2017. When I googled 2017 Hino fuse box, one of you old posts is there. Where are these relays located? Inside the truck or outside?

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotcha! Going to look into this tomorrow and try to get one from the Hino dealer or get them to order one. By any chance, is there any way to test to see if the relay is bad or just replace to see?

Last edited:

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now today I have a new issue with the truck.
Codes Inactive
U110A
P204F
At one point the SVS light came on and it went into limp mode. I turned the truck off, did a delivery and when I started it back up, SVS light went out but CEL came on and the truck worked fine. This truck is really starting to be a nightmare.

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Other codes will set in conjunction with P204F, in the DCU, but you can't access them through the dash. DXII needs to be connected to retrieve these codes.

HinoRich

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok. Thanks!
I finally got the new relay from the dealer today and it seems to have solved the problem. It started every time, no issues so far. Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: greasytshirt