2013 sprinter heat not working

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is the question.
2013 sprinter, yesterday when driving from cold climate to warmer, heater dial usually set at 68 degrees started blowing cold air.
I upped the dial to 76 - got warmer for few minutes, then it went back to cold.
Turned it off, turned AC on, to cycle cold - hot, was working for few minutes, then went back to cold.
AC is running fine.
What could be wrong?
Sensor? Relay? Cant be the fuse?
Motor still going strong.
Had some issues with AC while back when at above 90F.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have to bring it to 80F to feel some heat, that I felt at 68F before. Then after 3-5 minutes it barely warm. In 6 it's blowing cool at 80F.
Set at full heat, it melts the plastic.
Any other settings, cool after 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know nothing about Sprinters other than what I read here. My guess would be the heater core valve. How is the valve controlled, cable, electrically or vacuum?

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately I think it's something mechanical rather than a sensor or resistor due to the fact that motor is blowing and AC is working.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How hard is it to remove the front cover in 2013 to see maybe it's poor connection somewhere?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a scan took that tells you the temp the ATC asks for when you turn the dial. These sometimes go bad, giving you cold air when you ask for hot. There is also a mechanical valve to control the flow thru the heater core.

Sprinter-source.com and dig in. DO NOT replace anything without proper testing

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not familiar with Sprinter but found this info online. It's similar to your Sprinter symptoms.

Mercedes Sprinter Cabin Heater Not Getting Warm – Heater Matrix Replacement
Thank you, I've read that.
Hope it's not that item, but by looks of it, it might be.
Wonder if my Nov has same design as T1N repair listed.

Keep net searching, especially on you tube, there might be some other related info there. Hope you get it fix soon without costing a ton of $$. DIY or negotiating with the repair shops for a reasonable price.

Or...just ignore it like I did....check my Avatar. Lol......

Reactions: scottm4211