2013 Hino 338: Oil Cooler & Filter Housing

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
Radiator was leaking a bit, so I topped it off. Ran it up to temp & stopped to look for leaks, Found oil pouring from the radiator overflow. Dealer said it's the oil cooler and not an uncommon problem. I'm trying to get the filter housing/oil cooler off and it looks like the turbo has to come off, but the dealer told me that the filter housing/cooler could be pulled without disturbing the turbo. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank You!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The turbo has to come off.

Don't separate the cooler element from the base. Just replace the few d-rings on the base. The flat side goes toward the base, curved toward the block.

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you for the reply. Do you mean then that the problem is probably not the cooler itself but the d-rings?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I misread what you said. The oil cooler IS suspect. Your dealer days it's common, but that has not been my experience.

The cooler itself is #3 in the picture, and the d-rings are #2. On the occasion that we've replaced an oil cooler, we just order the entire assembly.

Attachments

• 16375044079357450528902300491896.jpg
    16375044079357450528902300491896.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 9

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
I have the manual with that page. My dealer also said that they usually replace the whole assembly. Is the turbo removal a difficult task?

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
Also, does the alternator have to come off too? Other stuff? I was trying to tackle this with my own forces, but it may be too much at this time.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The alternator can stay.

It's just nuts and bolts, but some of them are kind of a bear to get to and can be pretty tight. The biggest risk is breaking studs or mangling nuts on the turbo or downpipe. Your first attempt may be frustrating.