2012 Hino 338 P2436

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2012 Hino 338 that shows code P2436 Abnormality in Characteristics of atomizer with the engine light on. Any idea on what the problem could be?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Generally when this code shows up, there's a fault in the atomizer and it needs to be replaced.

moocowman

Active Expediter
Fleet Manager
What conditions would trigger P2436? Is it an electrical measurement, like open/short circuit in the atomizer pump? Using a scanner, is there a test you can run or a reading you can monitor to confirm the atomizer is faulty? Thanks.

YST

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
I have a 2011 Hino also has code P0087 Abnormality in common rail pressure control system and P2436 Abnormality in characteristics of atomizer. The truck runs fine and no DPR issues. I use DXII to delete the code and they keep coming back. I changed the fuel filters, it seems clean. Is it the problem in the fuel pump or the common rail pressure sensor?

moocowman

Active Expediter
Fleet Manager
Since my post last year, I've had to replace 4 atomizers in Hinos. All of them were P2436. As greasytshirt states, when you see P2436, replace the atomizer. I was interested to learn what triggers turn this fault on, but it's futile. Just replace it.

As for P0087, it means fuel rail pressure is low. If you graph target and actual fuel rail pressure, you'll see that under heavy and sustained load, the actual pressure won't be able to keep up with the target pressure. I'd start with the replacing the fuel filter. Graph it again to see target and actual are the same. Then move on down the line, which I believe would be the SCV (suction control valve) attached to the lift pump. The lift pump is attached to the front of the injection pump. I can't think of a way to test the SCV other than swapping it with a known good one. Maybe before you spend $ on an SCV, remove the banjo bolts for the hard lines that go into the injection pump because some of them have screens inside the banjo bolts. A couple months ago, I encountered this problem. Customer had been getting P0087 for months. Finally, truck would only idle. It wouldn't rev past 1200 RPM. The fuel filter was horrible. After we replaced the filter, it ran fine until you were under heavy load for more than a few seconds. It wasn't hitting target pressure on sustained load. Replaced the SCV with a known good one, no change. We were removing the lines on the injection pump (because were were going to replace the pump) when we noticed a screen inside one of the banjo bolts was full of junk. Cleaned out the screen, put it all back together and problem fixed. Injection pump is in such a stupid place!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Probably the most common failure mode that triggers P2436 is burner nozzle pressure dropping to the correct level after a regen. The nozzle pressure at rest is supposed to be 0.5-8 psi at this step. They will get stuck at much higher pressures (40-50psi) for too long a period and the light will come on,

Diesel_8

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hey guys I'm having some issues with a truck which I just replaced the atomizer as well as resetting the memory. The P2436 code comes back when cold started. I have new spark plugs, fuel filter, atomizer, cleaned both the fresh air line and fitting as well as cleaned the fuel line to the atomizer. Im leaning towards an air issue but havnt ruled out the atomizer module. Truck has 280k on it, its a ,13' 268

*edit, when I say atomizer I'm saying the nozzle. Correct me if im wrong but is the atomizer the actual module?

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The atomizer is the actual module, not the burner nozzle. If you're getting this code, the atomizer should be replaced.