2012 338 Brake pads and rotors

artice

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still a newbie...have patience.
I recently had my truck serviced and there are some things I would like to double check. The rotors are at 36.75 (front) and 36.83(rear). I definitely need to replace the pads (6mm and 5mm) but would like to ask if I need to replace the rotors as well (they are not grooved).
Is installing brake pads on this truck difficult? I have replaced pads and rotors on about ten cars previously. I do have access to good tools but have never worked on a heavy truck.
Also the spin on transmission filter and the burner fuel filter are rusted...any surprises I should be aware of if I try to replace these myself?
Thank you

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If the rotors look to be in good shape, then there's no reason to replace them. Replacing the rotors can be quite a bit of hassle if you're not equipped with the giant sockets needed to take the hubs off, and you'll definitely need to set the wheel bearing endplay accurately when you do this.

If you're just going to slap a set of pads on it, it becomes a lot easier. I like to loosen the bleeder screws before I compress the caliper pistons. That way, you're not sending a bunch of debris back through the system and into the ABS module. They don't like that.

Prefill any filters you remove. This prevents setting codes for low pressure.

Reactions: Hino123

artice

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you very much for your expertise and time GTS...
I think I will just tackle the pads this time...
For future information, at what thickness would you usually recommend replacing the rotors?
Thanks again.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thank you very much for your expertise and time GTS...
I think I will just tackle the pads this time...
For future information, at what thickness would you usually recommend replacing the rotors?
Thanks again.
In my experience, the tone rings will rust off of the rotors (causing ABS faults) before the rotor is worn out. I am unsure of the thickness wear limit offhand.

Reactions: Hino123

artice

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
In that case I guess I might as well go all in on this since the ABS faults have already started... Will let the dealer do the job...

I want to take the time to say to you sir, that being a newbie, it is really great having someone to give me some advise, especially since the repairs almost always amount to thousands of dollars...Much appreciated.
Thanks again for your time...