2011-2014 Hino burner maintenance

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Every 150,000 miles, this warning will come up on the dash.

This means it's time to do some maintenance.

The parts replacement part of this can be accomplished by someone equipped with hand tools, a 27mm 12 pt socket, and a filter wrench.

First, remove the right fender and expose the burner.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Remove the ignitors wires. Twist them before pulling or you'll rip their guts out. You have to replace them if they're damaged. Then remove the ignitors.

Some tip wear is normal.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Remove the flame temp sensor and burner nozzle. The nozzle has a core charge. Resist the temptation to wipe off the face of the nozzle and reuse it. You're just gonna mash carbon into the holes and clog it up.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Remove the pipe from the combustion air valve and burner and clean out that fitting and passage into the burner. This gets very clogged with schmoo over time.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I forgot to mention to remember which ignitor came out of which hole. If the gap is too great, exchange them from side to side and remeasure the gap.

Clean the ignitors.

Make sure there's no continuity. Also, this can be done before disassembly to see if one was shorted out.

This is the special tool. You can make one. 2.5 mm on one side, 3.5 on the other.

This is how you use it. The 2.5 side should pass through the ignitor gap, the 3.5 should not.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This is where the def filter is. Remove this cap, the butt plug, and use the provided tool to remove the filter. Do not lube the filter o-rings. Just shove it in the hole, followed by the butt plug and cap. Don't over torque the cap. It something like 25nm. Snug, basically.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This sad looking thing is the burner fuel filter. The important thing here is to fill the filter before installing it or you'll get a check engine light. Also don't forget the square cut seal on the threads.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This is the crankcase breather filter. It helps keep oil out of the intake. Just unscrew the cap, replace the element, and replace the O-ring on the cap.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That’s some in depth :censoredsign:. Thank God I got an 07’. Lmao
Yes, and there's more to it than just this. In 2015 they discontinued the use of a burner and things got a lot more reliable. This maintenance goes a long way to keep things working right, though.

Larayon

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
This is how you use it. The 2.5 side should pass through the igniter gap, the 3.5 should not.

Sorry just wondering, what the point of this tool to pass through the igniter gap? Is it meant to clean the inside?

Hino123

Active Expediter
Researching
This is how you use it. The 2.5 side should pass through the igniter gap, the 3.5 should not.

Sorry just wondering, what the point of this tool to pass through the igniter gap? Is it meant to clean the inside?
Its just for setting the proper electrode gap between the two igniters. Good question.