2010 T/T Expediters Question

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
To all T/T Expediters.....

I have been a company driver since 1988 in mainstream trucking, of late I have an "itch" to be an O/O. Mid life crisis maybe??

Anyway...to those of you that switched from mainstream T/T into expedite....could you share the differences and similarities.

The Pro's and the con's? Why you stay in expedite? Anything would be helpful....fleet drivers as well. I have had a few good offers from owners....but in the end, I still have to do it "their way"...same as a company man. So owning seems like it is going to be the way for me. And only as a Solo.

BTW...do you wish or think about moving into a straight???

Thx
Ride safe
A-Rex

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think the biggest issue is sitting. Regardless, there is sitting.

As I think about it, I can't understand why people would get into this working for an owner driving either a van or a tractor - both are cheap to get and use.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, valid points there. This I have learned for the Tractors, now as for CV's....I don't know how owners do it,.... let alone a fleet driver.

The freedon would be very cool in a CV....and maybe one day that might work, but supply and demand must be harsh.

So any T/T drivers care to share?

Thx

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
The niche of expediting in trucking is a specialized part of trucking,just as inter-modal and oversized carriers are.
Most nexoedite loads go under 500 miles and are most of the time over night deliveries,being time sensitive.
If your thinking of getting into expediting,first you should know,to stay profitable,it requires you to run a team truck.This isn't because your going to run coast to coast,wish it was,but thats not why.With the expedite loads going over' night and the length of dead head you may have to go to pick that load up,this could cause you to take more time than the 14 hour rule will let you go.
Now the reason to be in a TT is easy,more load oportunities,A tractor can haul any size load,and most of the companies like to keep their tractor teams busy.
If your thinking of getting into expediting as a solo,you will need lots of patience,a few good books,or just something to keep you busy while your waiting on your next load.
It will help if the company your thinking about has a truck load division,then they may be able to use you as a solo driver
Would I consider doing this in a straight truck,for me,not ever.Can you make money in a straight truck,yes,but not as much as I do in my tractor,then again Ive been doing this for 26 years

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Thx Night.....

Good info to know. I teamed in my younger days, and it was too stressful for me. And I have solo'd ever since..., running linehaul wiggle-wagons and for last 12 years with a specialized carrier.

Appreciate the info. And knowing that the company that wants to bring me on, does in fact have a TL Div as well as an Expedite Div, and also a Spec Div ie; RGN's Flats and steps....

RunSafe
ARex

Last edited: