2010 Hino 268 p0087 and p0088

Travis Lane

New Recruit
Mechanic
Good afternoon,
I am super new to Hino truck as I'm a Cummins Detroit and Cat mechanic. I have a customer who has 1 Hino truck. This thing is throwing me for a loop. I have read a lot of the 92 page Hino thread. I have fault codes p0087 and fault code p0087, not occurring at the same time, it's one or the other. P0087 has been more frequent than 88. The unit runs great until I hit 64 mph, I can feel some sort of changing in the fueling then the CEL comes on with p0087 active. After doing a lot of reading I checked the ITV, has 3 holes, have changed fuel and air filters. I changed the SCV per the bulletin. I dont not have Hino software, but I had M&K in Alsip illinois send me the date logged under the fault for this engine and it shows that the maximum fuel temp was 235 degrees farenheit, judging by everything I've read this indicates an internal bypass and there fore needs a fuel pump. Any direction would be much appreciated.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It sounds like you're on the right track. Check the connector on the rail pressure sensor. These connectors are beginning to show their age.

Travis Lane

New Recruit
Mechanic
It sounds like you're on the right track. Check the connector on the rail pressure sensor. These connectors are beginning to show their age.
Am I looking for spread pins, corroded terminals or fatigued wiring? Did you by chance look at the sheet that the M&K dealer sent me? I'm not sure if thats an actual Hino print out of a generic J-pro style?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Am I looking for spread pins, corroded terminals or fatigued wiring? Did you by chance look at the sheet that the M&K dealer sent me? I'm not sure if thats an actual Hino print out of a generic J-pro style?
If you wiggle the connector with the engine at idle, you'll hear the pitch of the engine change if there's a bad connection.
That's an actual Hino printout.
It's off-topic, but that printout also shows an airflow problem through the engine, like a sticking ITV or a turbocharger going south. The DPR inlet temperature is elevated and there's only a few things that will cause it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'd also confirm that there's no debris anywhere in the fuel supply, including the elbows on top of the fuel tank, and the banjo bolts and fittings in the fuel filter. And debris in the tank. I recently pulled a fas-mart breakfast sandwich wrapper out of the tank of an old Isuzu FTR. It was randomly clogging the pipe.

Travis Lane

New Recruit
Mechanic
If you wiggle the connector with the engine at idle, you'll hear the pitch of the engine change if there's a bad connection.
That's an actual Hino printout.
It's off-topic, but that printout also shows an airflow problem through the engine, like a sticking ITV or a turbocharger going south. The DPR inlet temperature is elevated and there's only a few things that will cause it.

I suppose you are talking about the intake faults. That was my fault. I unplugged the MAF when I was messing around with things and the key was on. I probably should have noted that.
While I agree that it could be a clog, this happens everytime at the exact load and speed. Same fault. Only recently did we get the P0088 fault for high pressure, which is why i was happy when I found the service bulletin on the SCV and your thread. I'll try the wiggle on the sensor plus check the elbows.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I usually quote 4-5 hrs. It’s usually a straightforward job but if someone has been there before and linked up the lines it can get interesting. At 235 degrees and almost 500k miles is say you are on the right track. I have a banjo fitting I made and install one endin the tank and the other directly on the inlet of the pump. That way on a test drive if it still sets a P0087 or 88 you know it’s on the high pressure side. A few other things to consider. Usually if a P0088 sets than the pressure limiter has opened to relieve pressure in the rail. I have had issues with limit valves not wanting to re seat once opened. When that happens it can cause a low pressure fault P0087 because the rail is unable to hold max pressure. I have a test one, but you could remove the return line off the limt valve, plug off the line with a bolt and sealing washers. Then run a line from the end of the limit valve into a container. Take the truck on a short test drive and BEAT it. Powerbrake it and stand on the throttle. After the beat ride inspect the container for fuel. You should not see any fuel. Fuel in the container indicates the valve is bleeding off fuel pressure and should be replaced. I have also seen pumps blow apart and lodge pieces of spring in the flow dampers. I usually advise the cust to clean and inspect the common rail because of this. It but me in the butt a couple times so now I have the customer make the decision. That way your in the clear if it has multiple issues. Good luck let us know how it works out.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Pics

Attachments

• 141A37C2-DACD-4217-91EA-2D21048F2B57.jpeg
    141A37C2-DACD-4217-91EA-2D21048F2B57.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • DE51D590-1D72-406B-99F7-53A7FC18D979.jpeg
    DE51D590-1D72-406B-99F7-53A7FC18D979.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 02073590-E09B-44AD-A2F0-B042F2255D88.jpeg
    02073590-E09B-44AD-A2F0-B042F2255D88.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80

Travis Lane

New Recruit
Mechanic
I wish I would have seen this before I ordered a pump. Oh well we are putting a pump on it tomorrow, i will check the other stuff when I'm there

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Be sure to check the fuel pump drive coupler for cracks while you have it off. Let us know how you make out.

marksauto

New Recruit
Mechanic
im wondering how you made out. very interested. have done a couple now and both ended up with a pump. pigtail on sensor is common as well, but usually will set a different code.......

ms