2007 M2 106 Electrical Problems

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Can someone help? Yesterday the ciggarette lighter shorted out and a number of other things went off with it. Washer fluid motor,tail lights,Quallcom. I checked all fuses under the hood, and behind the dash, and all fuses were good. I have checked everything I can see and find with no luck. Today while trying to find the problem, I noticed the interior lights are staying on now. I have the dash taken apart and I can't find anything. Does anyone know of something, or somewhere I should check or do before I bring it to Freightliner and get ripped off.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
try to find a problem with a ground wire.maybe the ground wire that goes from the fusebox to the frame has lost connection. if everything is powered by the ignition switch(has power only when the key is on, it may be the ignition switch itself.) i had this happen a few weeks ago on my sterling. call valley ford in cleveland,(sterling) at 216-267-4800. and usually they will try to help as much as possible. real good people there.good luck.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, I will try that. At this point, all information is helpfull. Im going nuts trying to figure this out. I can't get anything on, and the interior lights off, just for a lighter blown fuse. I wish I new what fuse it was connected to, just doesn't make sense to me.

guido4475

Not a Member
my fl-70 had a similar problem, now that i think about it. it was the wire coming out of the fusebox behind it. and a section of wire in the harness. it took awile to figure out.and a mess.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Was there any sign of a bad wire, or you just found one while looking for something? Can all this stuff happen from just a lighter shorting out.

guido4475

Not a Member
it was a loose wire not making proper contact with the connector for that particular fuse. and then a pinched wire in the harness under the dashbord, by the windshield. not easy to get to, and many swear words later, i fixed it. and then sold the truck.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Oh, ok. my lighter shorted out, the 2 contacts were touched, so there is no crimped wires, or loose ones. after it shorted out, washer motor, tail lights,quallcom, didn't work.And now the interior lights stay on. the dash is ripped apart right now, and I checked all wires, fuses, everything. Im not giving up, just very frustrating when you dont know what to look for

guido4475

Not a Member
bulk head module might be bad if a bad fuse cant be found at the fusebox on the fender, front left side.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
yeah, I was hoping that wasn't the problem. i can't imagine how much that will cost since it isn't under warranty.

guido4475

Not a Member
the bulkhead module is the whole brains of the truck, but they are putting their money on a fuse in that box. i know you've checked them, but that is what they are telling me. real good guys there.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Well thanks for all your help. I will check all the fuses and everything leading to the fuse box. I pulled all the fuses out and checked them and they were all good.

guido4475

Not a Member
youre welcome, the best of luck to you.i like valley because even though they are a by the book shop as far as time for a repair, i never since 89 had to come back to get it d one again. and they will try their best to help on the phone as much as possible. i know what you are going through. and times are tough, so who really has the money to put out for 100.00 an hour? gotta save where we can. anyway.

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
I will keep trying until I can't take it any more. I just don't understand how a short from the lighter can possibly destroy the bulkhead module, and why a fuse didn't blow to save it, if thats what wrong it. But thanks again

DnT

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guido, I fixed the problem today. I went online and read up on the bulkhead module, and what was connected to it. After finding out that the lighter, tail lights, quallcomm, and washer fluid motor where all on one terminal, and what fuse it was. I replaced that fuse, and all is good. Very strange though. After going over all the fuses at least 3 times and not finding any bad ones, I just replaced it. Thanks again.

guido4475

Not a Member
i'm glad you got it fixed without having to take it in. new trucks like yours have multi-plexed wiring.one wire doing so many different things.new is nice, but i'll try to stick with my 2000 sterling tractor/10 wheeler. fuses can act really weird. i had the same problem, replaced a good fuse once, and it was the problem. must of came from wal-mart.glad to be of help to ya.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Thanks guido, I fixed the problem today. I went online and read up on the bulkhead module, and what was connected to it. After finding out that the lighter, tail lights, quallcomm, and washer fluid motor where all on one terminal, and what fuse it was. I replaced that fuse, and all is good. Very strange though. After going over all the fuses at least 3 times and not finding any bad ones, I just replaced it. Thanks again.

There's a lesson there (isn't there always? :) ) in that just looking at a fuse is NOT always proof that it is good or bad. An easy way to check them, and you don't even need to remove then is use a 12V test light to probe each end of the fuse - if it lights up on both sides its good, if not you found your bad fuse.

kamilski

Active Expediter
May I ask which fuse it was? Was it one or the ones in the box on the fender or is there another box? The same thing just happened to me few minutes ago and I'm on the road