2007 Hino 268 -- Check Engine Light / Limp.... no codes read?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Looking at the photos and the invoice. I see obvious issues. That is not a new turbo for one. I see they charged you for 18 exhaust manifold studs, nuts, and spacers. Those also do not look at all like they have been replaced. If you had more photos I of the exhaust manifold gaskets, studs and nuts. They charged you for a turbo install kit. So all of the oil and coolant gaskets on the actual turbo should be new. If I was you I would contact Hino directly. Tell them you think you got ripped off and explain why. I can’t believe an actual Hino dealership would intentionally bone someone. Unfortunately for you, that seems to be the case here.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
In this case the VNT controller went bad. I'm not sure if anyone rebuilds them reliably. The few I've seen inevitably fail.

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I found my photos from when I purchased the truck this fall... I don't see many new components from this photo to after the repair. I'm going to have the driver take better overall engine photos next time he steps. For now the hose is holding....If the VNT controller went bad what should the repairs look like?

6196a95a804139518607325c.jpg

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I google the sub-assembly part right off the invoice for $2276 I come up with this

I definitely didn't get that part now that I look at the before and after.

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh as soon as this truck is back you can bet your ass.... at this point I wonder if the VNT controller is new (reconditioned) at least? But I need to put eyes on the truck. I always look over work... this one time I didn't because I had a train to catch.

I mean I'm looking at the before and after and the damn hose clamps just off the turbo from the air filter haven't moved a hair....

Last edited:

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
They charged you for drilling out bolts, replacing all of the exhaust manifold gaskets,studs, nuts and spacers. They charged you for a turbo installation kit and a NEW turbo. I don’t see any of that being done. The reason I stated to contact Hino and not the dealer is that if the dealership already screwed you I wouldn’t put it past them to do it again. Even if they installed a used turbo or somehow fixed a Vgt actuator they charged you for a new turbo and a exhaust manifold re-seal. If they didn’t actually perform that work they should not charge you for it.

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, the question I have is if it was a single dude pocketing the time, or if the whole shop is in on it. I intend to talk to the owner and if he doesn't find a way to make it right ASAP I'm going to Hino directly.

Unless you guys think I'm just wasting my time...

Reactions: danthewolf00

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I don’t even think the turbo they billed you is for that truck. 05-07 turbos used a different vgt connection than the newer turbos. I would call Hino directly but that’s just me. Either way I’d be calling someone EDIT. I looked and that is in fact the correct turbo for a 2007 Hino.

Reactions: Davenpbl

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My guess is that they had a turbo laying around that failed and thought hmmm let me take this good controller off of this bad turbo and charge for an entire turbo. You can change that without removing the turbo itself, just need to move the alternator out of the way.

When I had issues on my 05, I found a turbo on Ebay that they said was a core, I bought it, pulled the actuator off, cleaned it up and installed it on my turbo and it worked like a charm. Later the turbo blew itself apart and I took the one I bought on Ebay, put the actuator back on and ran it unitl I sold it.

My guess is that the one I bought just had a stuck linkage, once i freed it up, worked fine.

Hope you get your money back from that shop.

Britex

New Recruit
Researching
$2200 for a turbo sounds about right. Plus a turbo installation kit. $1500 for labor seems a little steep. That being said door rates have gone up. If you have the turbo installed by the dealer you get a warranty on parts and labor (usually). Good to know you were able to pull the code. Let us know how it turns out I believe warranty time for a turbo is 4hrs. We usually charge 4-6 for a reference.

Would you mind sharing what all is involved in swapping the turbo out on one of these (MY08 for reference) as I have a feeling I might be walking down that road shortly on my families new to us truck (turbo spins freely and while doesn't feel to have excessive play to me for a Garrett will drag a little if rotating and giving a little side push on the wheel).

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I had the truck in for a DOT inspection and double-check with another local mechanic. He said the truck checked out ok, and that he also didn't think the Hino shop did any of the work they charged for.... but after completion he said he had to replace the rear wheel seals. When I got the invoice I was a little surprised since we hadn't discussed anything was up. I hate to be the guy that always runs asking for help... but is there a quick easy way to verify the work was done? I've learned my lesson here I'm going to ask for photo proof before authorizing any repairs in the future. $500 a fair price for 2x rear seals? I know the parts on the left are marked up 100%

Attachments

• Wheel Seal invoice.jpg
    Wheel Seal invoice.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I had the truck in for a DOT inspection and double-check with another local mechanic. He said the truck checked out ok, and that he also didn't think the Hino shop did any of the work they charged for.... but after completion he said he had to replace the rear wheel seals. When I got the invoice I was a little surprised since we hadn't discussed anything was up. I hate to be the guy that always runs asking for help... but is there a quick easy way to verify the work was done? I've learned my lesson here I'm going to ask for photo proof before authorizing any repairs in the future. $500 a fair price for 2x rear seals? I know the parts on the left are marked up 100%

I have changed the wheel seals on my 05 when I had it and $500 for both is good, the seals are cheap but it’s hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Davenpbl

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Confronted the Hino shop about the lack of work on the turbo repair. The assistant manager said it was impossible, something wasn't right. They checked the VIN because they thought I brought another truck to try and scam THEM. Showed me where QA checked off the work, but agreed they can't see where any of the work was actually done to the truck. They asked me to come back Monday so I could talk to the main manager... he somehow left just after I raised hell initially and they crawled around the truck taking photos etc. I said no, I'm not coming back a third time to discuss this. I'm reversing the charges on my CC and calling it a day. They couldn't believe it....I agreed with them. Me either.