2007 Hino 258 misfire under acceleration

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
2007 Hino 258 idles great as soon as you give it throttle is starts to misfire. Has been to the local dealer, they replaced the egr valve, svt solenoid, brake switch, and determined there is a bad splice some where in the harness and did an overlay to get good power to the circuits for vnt, egr and brake switch ( there words on the invoice) which infact did not fix the issue. I have dropped the tank and had it dipped, replaced the fuel filter, fuel sight glass do to some leaking, fuel rail pressure sensor, and fuel pressure sensor, same issue as before. An online Hino dealer stated that the injection timing may need adjusted but can not give me the process of how to do this or if infact this will fix the truck. I have no check engine light on, and scanner will not communicate with the ecu

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Did this happen all of a sudden or did these symptoms coincide with some event?

FYI, engine data is pulled from the 16 pin connector. I don't know what scan tool you're using, or whether it's compatible.

The injection timing is not adjustable.

If you disconnect the mass airflow sensor does it run any better?

Last edited:

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
This has been an on going issue that would happen every couple hundred miles, then every 100 miles, no it is instantly as soon as you give it throttle. From what I have read from your posts, I do not think my scanner is compatible with Hino, it is for HD trucks but not working.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A scan tool with live data may be essential for fixing this. I'll continue to think about it.

Had anything been done to the truck before the problem first started?

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
No nothing done prior just what I listed has been done after the problem started. This problem actually started almost 2 years ago but would only happen on and off, now it is immediately. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
was able to borrow a scan tool to pull codes, says no active codes but have a list of inactive codes
u1001
p0183
p0193
p0628
p0102
p0113
p2122
p2127
p2120
p0405

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Uo101 doesn't mean anything if it's inactive.
P0102 and P0113 were set when you unplugged the MAF sensor.
P0183 is the fuel temp sensor on the fuel pump. The sensor pretty much never goes bad, so I'd suspect wiring. This will cause limp mode.
P0193 is the common rail fuel pressure sensor high input. Once again I wouldn't suspect the sensor itself. Give the connector a wiggle with it idling. If it starts cackling and stumbling you need a connector. Will cause limp mode.
P0628 is a scv malfunction. That's the fuel pressure regulator on top of the fuel pump. This could range from electrical problems to the pump dying.
P2122, P2120, and P2127 all have to do with the accelerator pedal sensor.
P0405 is the EGR valve lift sensor.

It's pretty unlikely that all of these are valid codes. Many were probably set when sensors were unplugged. I'd have a look in the firewall junction box behind the air filter for corrosion, and check the rail pressure sensor and scv for good connections first.

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
The truck keeps getting worse now it will not start on its own, have to use starting fluid to get it start, it will run smooth until yu give it gas then starts to misfire, the more you try to give it gas it seems like the more it starts to misfire. Do you think we are looking at a bad injection pump?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Get it started and start wiggling connectors. A bad connection at the common rail pressure sensor can cause some misfire symptoms. Scv too.

I don't like telling people to buy thousands of dollars of parts on a guess.

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
I completely agree don't want to throw crazy money but have wiggled wires on both the fuel rail pressure sensor and the scv also the dealer replaced the scv and the harness that goes to it, have unplugged them and checked them

Last edited:

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
The one for the cab or the one by the fuel tank? And thank you for all you information

Attachments

• image_67545089.JPG
    image_67545089.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image_67579393.JPG
    image_67579393.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67517441.JPG
    image_67517441.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67517441 (1).JPG
    image_67517441 (1).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67579393 (3).JPG
    image_67579393 (3).JPG
    108 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67513857 (1).JPG
    image_67513857 (1).JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67579393 (2).JPG
    image_67579393 (2).JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67579393 (1).JPG
    image_67579393 (1).JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image_67513857.JPG
    image_67513857.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 3

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
One more question I just noticed the scv was replaced by Hino but in 2021 could it be bad already? If I unplug that sensor it does not shut the truck down but previously it would shut the truck down

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The firewall one. It looks pretty good in there.

Does disconnecting the scv make a difference in how it runs? In theory it should still run when disconnected, just badly. The best way to tell if it's bad is to watch it's performance using DX.

P0193 in Isuzu literature describes it as a large leak (I think). Remove the banjo bolt from the rail pressure limiter. It's the small line at the front of the common rail. Plug the line. I usually just use a M8 bolt and nut and the existing seal washer to close the line. Stick a plastic bottle or something over the rail limiter and try to drive it. Basically no fuel should escape.

Since we're grasping at straws, remove the injection lines and flow dampers from the common rail and look for debris. I've seen pieces of a failing pump clog the flow dampers. I've also seen debris from the pump get caught in the inlet of the common rail. You'll have to remove the line between the pump outlet and common rail.

jeff91069

New Recruit
Mechanic
Found all this debris in the injection pump tiny filter late last night

Attachments

• IMG-2169.jpg
    IMG-2169.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The steel tanks on these trucks are a constant source of rust chunks and other junk. I don't know how this got past the fuel filter. I don't think this enough to seriously restrict fuel flow. If it was it'd set P0087, P0088, or possibly both.

I'd remove the flow dampers and fuel supply line from the common rail and look for metal. There's a spring in the injection pump that breaks, gets chopped up, and will clog the dampers.

Reactions: danthewolf00