2007 Diesel Engine Compliance

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi all,

I thought I'd start this thread to get some insight and offer what I know as to the new requirements for 2007 Diesel engines...
I'll speak to what I've been told by my reps in the Class 3-7 trucks (i.e. Ford, GM-Isuzu and Dodge)

The big question is what the manufacturers are going to do come 12-midnight 12-31-2006.. as they are required to build ONLY 2007 Diesel engine compliant vehicles after that date ????

I'll start with Ford:
2006 F-series are history...
2007 Model Year Ford - F-series are already being produced and will actually STOP production around October for the 2007 Model year F-series (650-750's built in Mexico are already done)
Ford says, that they will begin producing a "new" 2008 F-series truck in January....however what's not crystal clear is... if the current 6.0 Powerstroke (International built engine) will be in those trucks after 12-31-2006...Or will Ford announce the new 6.4 liter Powerstroke they are currently testing....E-series vans (i.e. vans, cutaways and stripped chassis) are still in 2006 buildout utilizing the the down-tuned Powerstroke 6.0...I have not heard what 2007 will bring....Questions or comments ???

On to GM-Duramax
2006 units are history....
2007 "classic" old Silverado/Sierra Body styles are being built using the 6.6 liter Duramax...2007 "900" new series body styles are also being built for October release.....I'm told that the current Duramax engine for both vans and light-duty class trucks will be able the support the changes that will be need come 12-31-2006...I believe they will only add the particulate filter to the exhaust and new EGR requirements for the engine...(oh... and the "idiot lights on the dash")...
Question is are the 2007 trucks built today using the Duramax required to only burn ULSD and add CJ-4 oil...or will that be VIN specific come midnight 12-31-2006 ?????

2007 Isuzu N-F series are already being built and will actually stop around October as well...These truck are cab-forward and are badged as GMC-CHEVY-ISUZU...but share the same components...these truck will also come out as 2008 models in early 2007 and be compliant..good news is that the 2007 Diesel engines (I-4 and I-6)have been running in Japan for about 3 years.....

Now for Dodge (for Freightliner too for you Sprinter guys !!)

Dodge is building a 3500 Cab-chassis with a Cummins engine (compliant for 2007).....Later in 2007 they are also to start building a Class 4-6 chassis (similar for and F-450/F-550) using a Freightliber frame and a Cummins engine and an Aisin transmission.....
Same question for the Dodge guys as the GM guys...What happens New Years day 2007...???he

Sprinter/Freightliner are an enigma...Some say Freightliner will not badge a 2007 Sprinter...some say they will... 2006 units are done and can't be ordered....Daimler says they will open the "new" plant in Charleston by March and begin producing 2007 units that are engine compliant...but rumor says that the 5-cyl Mercedes engine will not be in the trucks......can't meet the requirements......
They also say they will produce a "gas" unit for the Sprinter come 2007....
Questions / comments ????

Now the the big guys...(I'm a little green here) Class 7-8 units

Pete/Kenworth/Freightliner/Volvo/International...and any others
(p.s. Hino too !!!)

What are they selling today ???? I here the term "pre-2007" units being bantered around...But what does it mean for Jan 1, 2007 ???...
Are these trucks on the lot today 2006 1/2 or 2006 units ??? How will they determine which units have the new changes ??? Again VIN specific ?????

Well anyway...I've gone on for awhile now anyone care to jump in ???

Thanks,

Frank in Pa

P.S. - Please correct anything you may know....thanks

"The Beast in the East"

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As far as class 7 and 8's some of the 07's will have the 06 engines which can be bought now. The December date is when the engine manufactures must change over. Or....that is my understanding.
So that mean you will be able to buy a 07 without the emissions components until they run out, since some engines will have a manufacturers date prior to Jan07.
Those that are left will likely be sold at a premium. In fact, I could almost guarantee it.
The 07's have a upcharge in the $5,000 to 8,000 range based on recent manufacturing reports.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told by one truck manufacturer and one engine manufacturer the requirements are not based on the model year of the truck. The requirements are based on when the engine is manufactured. If a company could build enough engines prior to 23:59:59 on 12/31/2006 to build trucks for the next 5 years then those 5 model years of trucks would not have the 2007 engine. The truck manufacturer told me it could be March or April of 2007 before one of their trucks actually has a 2007 engine in it. I can't say for certain if all that's true but it does make sense. With governmental involvement the fact that it makes some sense pretty much assures it's wrong too.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Well re the Sprinters..
2007 ordering begins in fall... 2006 models available to year end.
First 2007 models will have gas V6. diesel will be available later in year.
Diesel engines are 2 models V6 and I5 (not current engine). Diesels out later due to DC not filing emission info by deadline (so story goes).
Interesting is that even with European emissions standards being tightened as well, that MB is still offering more engine choices there.
New models include optional higher roof than current models and one that is longer than current models (more space for sleeping).
Rob Fis