2006 Hino

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hi. I want to buy a 2006 Hino 338 wit automatic transmission. The truck is in good shape.Has 480 kmiles. Any feedback about this model? I never had a Hino. How is the engine? Transmission? Thank you

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hinos are significantly underpowered in my opinion. They're also class 7 and I wouldn't get anything but a class 8 chassis. With 480k it's potentially all but used up. It might be the exception that's good for a few hundred k more miles but more likely it's nowhere near that. Good luck regardless.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are you going to drive it.
A little harder to find drivers for a Hino than some other vehicles for the reasons stated.
How many miles do you plan in running and where ?
Hino is a lighter duty vehicle and is probably okay for lighter service uses.

I agree,at that mileage, I'd rather be selling it than buying it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Regardless of mileage or age, those are a true team truck. One to drive and the other to push. :eek:

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I did not know the Hino is such a bad truck. I own a Freighliner ST . It is much worse?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6 or 7 years ago when Hino came on the scene in a big way, this board was loaded with people singing their praises. So far, not one in this thread. Just sayin'...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Id be verry carefull most people sell trucks arround 500K as they are aproaching re-engine, transmissions, and other major fixes.

Bob Wolf.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Heard you can't use e-logs I was also looking into it but with any straight truck with over 450k isn't a good idea. Most fleet owners start selling them at 450k to 500k so they can use that cash to buy a newer truck with less miles. Also most dealers only warranty up to 500k for those S/T I heard.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A straight with 500,000 miles is okay if it's a class 8.
Most class 8s will go 750,000- 1,000,000 miles w/o major issues. I sold my last class 8 with about 950,000 miles on it. If I was with a different carrier I wouldn't of even considered selling it.
I easily may have gotten another 3-400.000 miles w/o major expense.

For those skeptics: N-14 ,10 spd manual.
Pretty bullet-proof.