2005 Hino 185

ArcticWolf 24

New Recruit
Mechanic
Alright, been working on this 4banger diesel for 3 days. Truck came into our shop with a low power issue. U0073 active, p0193, p0088,p0628, p0183 inactive. The u0073 code was active and I could not get the VNT actuator to respond. Removed the intake above the turbo to access the harness. Found a broken wire, which I repaired. Also cleaned the ground on the rear of cab to the frame. Hooked up the snap on scanner again and code was inactive. Was able to move the VNT actutor by commanding it. Cleared codes and went to test drive it. Truck will not start now. Cranks and sputters, but will not start. All fuses and relays good. Triple checked everything I had touched, all ok. Replaced a few ground cables and battery ends. Batteries load tested ok. Fuel coming from all 4 injector lines. Even changed the SCV for :censoredsign:s. Here’s the weird part. I can connect the scanner, but can’t see any pressures, or do any tests with it now. Anyone have any ideas?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Where to start? I guess I'd focus on getting communications back to the scanner. Try unplugging the VNT controller, perhaps there's a CAN issue. Without the scanner, it's hard to tell you what to do next. You could be losing fuel pressure through the rail limiter. There could be a bad connection at the common rail pressure sensor. The fuel temp sensor rarely fails, I'm surprised there's an inactive code for that, perhaps there's a wiring issue on the left side of the engine. Judging by the codes, replacing the scv seems like a wise move.

ArcticWolf 24

New Recruit
Mechanic
Where to start? I guess I'd focus on getting communications back to the scanner. Try unplugging the VNT controller, perhaps there's a CAN issue. Without the scanner, it's hard to tell you what to do next. You could be losing fuel pressure through the rail limiter. There could be a bad connection at the common rail pressure sensor. The fuel temp sensor rarely fails, I'm surprised there's an inactive code for that, perhaps there's a wiring issue on the left side of the engine. Judging by the codes, replacing the scv seems like a wise move.
Ended up being the main engine harness. Where it goes through the firewall it has a bad connection. 2 green pins. If you hold some pressure on it, it will start. But when you let go it dies.