2004 Sprinter advise

karp01

Active Expediter
Yesterday I found a 2004 Dodge Sprinter with 35,000 miles on it at a local dealer/friend of mine.It was a the RV model stripped out but I would have to do some work to the interior to set it up for expediting.
I am a little leary of it because I think they had some breakdown issues(from reading threads here) and I am worried about taking it on the road right away.
Also any difference in the load capacity between the RV model and Cargo models that I should be aware of? I neglected to look at the door plate.
I think I recall 144 in wheel base....does that sound right.It it very tall and longer than the few sprinters that I have seen.
I can purchase it for 14,000 give or take a bit.

Any thoughts on this model?

Again thanks for the help

LARRY

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I dont know much about the RV model but if it is basically stripped down I dont see a problem with the weight. One thing about the 2004 models that you have to worry about is the EGR valve. They are know for getting clogged. There are threads on here that can help you with that problem. Another problem with the van is the model year and some of the larger companys. They dont want to hire on that old of a sprinter. I would suggest talking to a few recruiters about the van first. If you were to buy this van i would suggest not to idle and maintain it at all times.

karp01

Active Expediter
Thanks...thats a great idea to talk to a few recruiters.
Any out their that care to chime in

Larry

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the RV conversions are the dually wheel models, which doesn't leave enough room between the wheel wells for a 48" skid, so the wheel wells will have to be modified. But 14 grand for a 35,000 Sprinter is a good deal. Just have a very competent Sprinter mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb before buying it.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Larry,

The 2004 was the first year of the new engine (647), and new EGR Value. It has the same eng. as 05 and 06. Very good engine and fuel milage. Sounds like a good deal if you can talk them down to 12k. Check with some carriers first and see if they will take on an 04. One thing in your favor is very low miles. Some will, some will not. Check inside dems. to make sure you have at least 12 feet behind the seats and check wheel wells to make sure they are at least 49" before you get it, I would change the trans fluid, filter, fuel filter, oil and filter. You can do the oil yourself and maybe the fuel filter. Repack the front wheel bearings, been sitting I take it? You should have very comfortable seats in there since it use to be a motor home! It will work ok out here. I know folks that have taken passenage vans and made it work.

These things like to run not sit for long times between runs.

karp01

Active Expediter
Thanks for the advise....I am going to take a closer look tomorrow and verfy a few things

Larry