20 or 22ft Box for Straight Trucks?

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a 24' box for 12 years With just your basic 72" sleeper with no amenities. Sure it was nice to be able to carry 12 / 24 skids , but that rarely happened . I just recently bought a newer truck with the 22' box and a bigger sleeper with more " bells and whistles ". I have had the truck since OCT. and have yet to fill it up . The money I've saved with the nicer sleeper outweighs the few lost opportunities by not having a larger box.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When shippers are paying a premium for exclusive use they don't want to have to stack freight and risk damage. When I was in LTL it wasn't uncommon to see a 3000# die stacked on top of a pallet of lamp shades in an outbound trailer. Once the freight leaves the shipper it was all about load factor and dock time.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a 24' box for 12 years With just your basic 72" sleeper with no amenities. Sure it was nice to be able to carry 12 / 24 skids , but that rarely happened . I just recently bought a newer truck with the 22' box and a bigger sleeper with more " bells and whistles ". I have had the truck since OCT. and have yet to fill it up . The money I've saved with the nicer sleeper outweighs the few lost opportunities by not having a larger box.

This post makes me think the 20 ft box would do the job. Generally how long are you load loads? Sounds like a comfortable sleeper upgrade!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Width is also a factor. A 102" vs 96" . With a 102 you can turn skids and get more on the floor.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Width is also a factor. A 102" vs 96" . With a 102 you can turn skids and get more on the floor.

I've decided I don't want to go any wider then the wind fairings on the class 8 truck. 102 is same size as a semi I believe. I see a lot of 96" wide boxes. They seem to be easy to point out the difference.

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

This post makes me think the 20 ft box would do the job. Generally how long are you load loads? Sounds like a comfortable sleeper upgrade!
I'd answer your question best I can but for the life of me I can't figure out what load loads means ? Long are my runs ? Long are the loads ?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'd answer your question best I can but for the life of me I can't figure out what load loads means ? Long are my runs ? Long are the loads ?

Yes how long are the loads as in length of space that freight takes up in the box typically?

Pretty much have come to the conclusion that the 20ft box is acceptable and will work but the 22ft box is the clear choice just to be on the safe side and have extra space for anything extra. And if you got into local work most companies would probably appreciate the little extra room.

Maybe though if I had the 16ft box I could drive it like it was a oversized extended Sprinter providing I had the dezl on telling me where to go to meet height clearances:D