2 weeks notice?

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
I’m a van owner operator who is currently considering taking an extended leave of absence, and perhaps even quitting altogether. Is it necessary to give my carrier 2 weeks notice? I’m not sure if that’s a customary thing in this industry.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I’m a van owner operator who is currently considering taking an extended leave of absence, and perhaps even quitting altogether. Is it necessary to give my carrier 2 weeks notice? I’m not sure if that’s a customary thing in this industry.
Do you have any of their equipment on the van? Other wise nope you can leave anytime unless there is a contract...if you have a contract check it over first for any penalties.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Most Important to give 2 week notice, you may want to come back and work for them some day. Also they might hit your driving record and put in there remarks, I would take on this driver. Always remember to treat people way you want to be treated.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive as an owner operator for other companies and I also have drivers that drive for me as owner operators.

Personally I would give or try to give two weeks notice to any companies that I drive for if possible (obviously if I had a medical emergency on myself two week notice may not be possible but where possible I would try to do that).

One of the terms that I have when an owner operator independent contractor signs up with me to get work or do work with me is that they give me two weeks notice if they want to leave because then I have some time to at least find somebody that can try to cover their run or the one that they were doing.

So I guess my overall answer is I believe I would give two weeks notice if possible and in my case I kind of expect two weeks notice from the people that work with me your arrangement with the company you work for may be different so maybe you don't have to give two weeks notice but I would recommend it anyways... Just my two cents

Hope this helps
Andrew

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Owner operators own the van.
Drivers work for you driving the van.
O/o get 1099 tax forms
Drivers get w2 tax forms

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly, take this exact question and ask the carrier directly, they will appreciate that more than you know.