2 dead, 1 hurt in fiery wreck on I-75 near Tipp City

Monty

Expert Expediter
2 dead, 1 hurt in fiery wreck on I-75 near Tipp City

woman injured in a fiery seven-vehicle crash on Interstate 75 near the Ohio 571 exit near Tipp City Wednesday night.

Three semis and four passenger vehicles were involved in the crash, which continues to have the south side of I-75 closed between Ohio 571 and Northwoods Boulevard in Vandalia, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol Piqua Post.

“We do have two confirmed fatalities,” OSP Lt. Rick Albers said early Wednesday. “There was some construction going on 75 here, southbound, and the traffic was slow,” said Albers. “One of the commercials was unable to get stopped, impacted a passenger car, and then impacted another commercial vehicle.”

The second semi involved in the crash was pushed into a third semi, which then struck three additional passenger vehicles stopped in front of it, Albers said.
“During construction, or if you come up on any type of construction, we just ask that drivers pay attention and slow down,” the lieutenant said, also alluding to the increased speed limits on sections of rural interstates in the state. “Remain cognizant that traffic could be stopped in front of you at any point in time,” he said.

During the impact of the collision, two of the semis erupted into flames, Albers said. The flames, which stretched several hundred feet north from the end of the crash scene, were extinguished by fire departments from two counties.
Firefighters from Tipp City and West Milton in Miami County responded and were assisted by Montgomery County units from Vandalia and Butler Twp. fire departments.

Northbound lanes of I-75 also were closed following the crash, which happened around 10:45 p.m., but were reopened shortly after 2 a.m., the highway patrol said.

The identities and genders of the deceased victims were not immediately available. The woman injured, who was in the initial car involved in the crash with the first semi, was transported to Upper Valley Medical Center for treatment of injuries, Albers said, didn’t appear to be life threatening.

Albers said troopers are still in the early portion of the investigation and further details surrounding the crash should be released at a later time.
The southbound lanes of I-75 remained closed at 4:30 a.m. Motorists needing to travel the area were urged to exit the interstate at the Ohio 571 exit. Drivers could then take Ohio 571 west to County Road 25-A, where they could then travel south to Northwoods. A left turn from County Road 25-A to Northwoods would take motorists back to I-75, where they could reenter the southbound lanes of the highway.

2 dead, 1 hurt in fiery wreck on I-75 near Tipp City | www.whiotv.com

Monty

Expert Expediter
You think it bothers you, Murray? Two people will never be going home ......

Seems it all started, (latest reports), when a semi slammed into the rear of another in construction ..... reports like these are much to common. One can only wonder why the driver was so distracted. Texting, phone call, laptop on?

And as of 745, southbound is still closed.

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
I'm watching the ODOT cam at that exit, seems they now have the traffic going off, and back on, at the exit, no detour in affect.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You think it bothers you, Murray? Two people will never be going home ......

Seems it all started, (latest reports), when a semi slammed into the rear of another in construction ..... reports like these are much to common. One can only wonder why the driver was so distracted. Texting, phone call, laptop on?

And as of 745, southbound is still closed.

Distracted, drinking coffee, looking down for that dropped pen, cell phone under seat, invoice on dash needed, sunglasses sliding around on dash, to sleepy, I know none of you all do that......

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Distracted, drinking coffee, looking down for that dropped pen, cell phone under seat, invoice on dash needed, sunglasses sliding around on dash, to sleepy, I know none of you all do that......

All of the above.... And everyone does it to some degree

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
What a shame for all involved..I'm afraid the Mayhem will countuie until drivers learn to stop tailgating and slow down. My option there is very little enforcement on following to closely and speeds in the construction zones.. All construction zones should be treated as no passing zones..Not sure which zone this is but Ohio really needs to rethink how they set up a construction zone..There is one zone up there and I think it is near Lima that gives me the creeps on a good day.
Michigan has recently had a rash of wrecks in work areas on I-94..Slow down and increase the space between you and the next vehicle.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever the reason or after affects to freight etc. when someone doesn't return home to their family many people our affected. It is a sad thing for all involved.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Went through there last night. Detour took a while. There was also a somewhat related crash on the northbound side.....minivan rear ended a semitrailer just before the closure. Her dashboard was just under his ICC bumper. Both were fine, standing under bridge next to crash, but the truck driver was doing nothing to warn others (triangles) that there was 2 stopped vehicles right at the start of the slowdown. Surprised there wasn't more of a chain reaction.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Still stopped. Letting traffic exit and re-enter at SR-571 exit.
Having to work on the asphalt. The fire must have been horrible.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Watching the cool looking chick in the next lane.

Don't want to offend anyone. Watching the pretty lady trucker in the next lane. :rolleyes: :cool: