Cargo Van 1st time in Laredo

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey fellas, this is my 1st time in Laredo. What are some of the places you like to visit while here. I don't eat any many fast food chain type places. What are your favorite? What hotel do you like ? Any tourist type places I should visit? And anything I should definitely avoid? Or any other advise? Thanks

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing I avoided was Laredo itself.
I seldom did automotive, so it was seldom a temptation.

Reactions: Ragman

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
HEB! It's been a very long while since I was in Laredo but I believe there's an HEB plus there. Good produce! Go cruise the isles & stretch your legs for a bit ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally for me, site seeing around Laredo is not a option.
Watch your back, I've had a few bad run ins with the locals.
I stay planted at one on the truck stops, if at all possible.

That said, the Golden Corral is pretty cool. Not your usually Corral. Mexican food themed, with live entertainment. Next to it is a motel 6, there is another one about a mile down the road. One is a little cheaper in price, don't remember which one, but when needed, I've stayed at the lower priced one without issues.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Republic of the Rio Grande Museum is definitely worth the visit (if you like history and stuff. If not, just go to the mall, or the produce section at HEB). It's a very small museum, takes 30-60 minutes to see, but it's crammed full of history from the early 1800s about Laredo and the Republic. It's why there have been 7 flags to fly over Laredo instead of the standard 6 that have flown over Texas.

The country existed for 283 days in 1840 when insurgents rebelled against Santa Anna and the Mexican government. Parts of 3 northern Mexican states and the areas around Laredo and Victoria made up the new country, with Laredo being it's Capitol.

I think it's one of the most interesting ways you can spend four bucks and kill an hour or two in Laredo. And it's in a nice area of town.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ahh... Laredo ..
Golden Corral.. great
Buffalo Wild wings... great
Shopping Mall off exit 3 and on east side of I-35 ...great
Chinese Buffet in same area .. good
East on 20 /Bob Bullock
HEB ..ok parking .. great Chicken
Walmart 1/2 mile east ...ok parking (its where i sleep) quiet
... no hassles...
The truck stops i avoid ... i gas up and shower at Pilot .. i get sick & tired of the 20 question games at those truck stops .. i will drive through and check for decent people i have met before ... and see if they need a free shower as i always have 6 or 7 extra ... just my thoughts

All aboard the Freight Train

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
If it's not too hot, I'll stay at the Pilot. In the summer time, I like to stay at the extended stay inn on the north side of Laredo. Never had any problems at either place. The extended stay is nice because it has a full kitchen so if you end up being there a couple days you can save money on food by shopping at HEB. If you do a bit of internet shopping, you can normally get a room at the Extended Stay Laredo - Delmar for around 50-60/night. It's in a fairly nice part of town.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
<slaps self in the head, says "Coulda hadda V8">

Laredo is home of the world's largest George Washington's Birthday celebration. It's a month-long siesta fiesta lollapalooza. They take George Washington very seriously down there. I have no idea why. I've been down there twice during February when it happens. It's quite the party. Roughly 400,000 visitors swamp Laredo for the events. The only hotel room you're likely to find down there is the one in your truck. And you could probably rent that out.

121st Washington's Birthday Celebration

JerzyVan79

New Recruit
Driver
I love Laredo and the locals are always very pleasant far as my interactions with them. Seems the HEB store is popular and we love the Laredo Taco co. Which is at almost all Stripes gas stations. You may enjoy trying the more authentic Mexican foods while you are there? The only issue we ever had is the summer heat! Expect to use whatever Spanish lessons you may have learned in school as you could run into many non English speaking employees especially closer to border but usually can find someone bi-lingual if you have any communication trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums