//// 1999 International 4700 using 1 tank only now ///

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI all,

Yesterday my helper ran our international 4700 box truck out of fuel (or at least low enough to stall the engine out....DT466).

We brought fuel to the truck and filled each tank equally (about 30 gallons total between the 2 tanks).

I told my helper to never let the tanks get below 1/2 again.

Well, today, my helper called me and said the truck was out of fuel again!

He said it was not his fault because the gauge read full and visual confirmation of the larger passenger side fuel tank revealed that it was still nearly full.

I asked him to look inside the drivers side tank and he reported (to his surprise) the that tank was empty.

We brought him 30 gallons of fuel (put into the empty smaller driver side fuel tank since the other tank was still nearly full, re primed and got the engine running normally again.

We looked inside the cab and there were no switches to switch between the fuel tanks.....the truck had always drawn fuel from both thanks yet when we looked under the truck we did not see any fuel lines under the tanks connecting them together (all the fuel lines are located on the tops of the 2 tanks....one passenger side (larger one with fuel sender wiring) and the smaller drivers side tank).

Upon further thinking, if the truck tanks were connected on the bottoms 1 leak would empty both tanks on the ground so it makes sense to connect the 2 tanks at the top somehow.

So how does one re establish a "link" between the 2 tanks ?....I assume some how the "siphon effect" was somehow disturbed when the truck ran out of fuel the first time?

I just hope until I can get this working right the truck keeps on running even if just on the drivers side small tank (I did put (3) 6 gallon fuel cans and (2) 2.5 gallon fuel cans in the box of the box truck filled with fuel just in case.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
There is a fuel pump that transfers from on side to the other. Test this pump to see if it functions. Put 12v to it. Make absolutely sure there's no inlet restriction. This may mean pulling the tank off of the truck and confirming no debris. With 12v at the pump, it should pull from one tank and fill the other.

If you confirm that the pump is actually pumping and there's no flow restriction, replace the sending unit on each tank. This is the link you mentioned.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app