14 hour team

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
I am going to be bringing my wife on with me as a str8 truck driver and i was told something about a 14 hr team...i am with panther ii.
can you please clarify this so's I can fully explain to her what it means as my understanding of it is minimal...we are working on her class b cdl w/ airbrakes and HM endorsement now...and explaination would be appreciated.

p.s. since she needs the permit what inital test does she need to take, HM and airbrakes or just HM? In order to drive for Panther on the 14 hr team does she need to have the HM endorsment?
I am dual cert. to drive unregulated and DOT regulated vehicles...the truck that we have is 24' str8 truck w/o airbrakes, but the truck we are getting at the begining of the yr is bigger.
...jerome

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Buz, here's my attempt at an explanation... If your wife does not have her CDL but instead has a permit, that makes you an instructor. In accordance with DOT regs you can only be on duty 14 consecutive hours before break time. While your wife drives (on her permit) you cannot sleep. You must be beside her in the shotgun seat "instructing" her. She can drive all she wants to (up to 11 hours), but every hour that she logs as drive time must be logged in your book as "on duty not driving". The hours of availability for your truck are dependent solely on your available hours - Which will be a maximum of 14. Once your wife gets her CDL it will all be different, but until then...... I hope this helps and best of luck - X

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Buz, here's my attempt at an explanation... If your wife does not have her CDL but instead has a permit, that makes you an instructor. In accordance with DOT regs you can only be on duty 14 consecutive hours before break time. While your wife drives (on her permit) you cannot sleep. You must be beside her in the shotgun seat "instructing" her. She can drive all she wants to (up to 11 hours), but every hour that she logs as drive time must be logged in your book as "on duty not driving". The hours of availability for your truck are dependent solely on your available hours - Which will be a maximum of 14. Once your wife gets her CDL it will all be different, but until then...... I hope this helps and best of luck - X
great explanation,i'm impressed,not many know that part of the DOT law

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
When we went to work at Panther, I only had my permit. We found out shortly that I was not allowed to drive the truck because Panther's insurance won't allow you to if you have a permit. You can mess around in a parking lot, but not on the road. So, after I finally got my license we asked them about the 14 hour team so I could get used to the truck since I had never driven on the road except for my driver's test...lol. They seemed very confused by this terminology and kept asking where I ever heard of a 14 hour team, they said they could only make you a team, or not a team, but they had never heard of a "14 hour team". So, we just said we'll be a team, and I learned really quickly! It wasn't hard though....my husband sure was tired those first couple weeks. I'm not sure why that ad always says straight truck spouse training, it is kind of misleading. We asked about it in orientation, but they said "that's an old ad." That was over a year ago...lol.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I've heard that same explanation ("that's an old ad.") given for at least one other issue - no CDL required for cargo van o/o's. You would think that as the largest expedite carrier (fleet size) they could afford to hire someone to update their ads and keep them accurate ....