12V vs dual voltage

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Other than possibly wearing out batteries quicker is there any real need for a dual voltage refrigerator vs. a 12V one?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Over the years I have had both. I prefer dual voltage, of course my truck is wired for shore power. A Weekend of setting can drain the batteries real good.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine too is wired for shore power. The batteries would always be charging or the generator on. Just looking to cut costs, don't know if it is worth it or not.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I suppose it would all depend on how much you sit and wait or not, and how much you are home and don't need the fridge.

Not quite the same as a real fridge, but I have a Coleman Thermoelectric cooler that runs on either 12v or 110 AC (lots of room, stands upright like a fridge or down like a cooler, only $99 or so).

In my case, having the dual power has been priceless. I regularly hook it up to 110 when home or at my shop and just leave everything in there instead of transferring to the house or shop fridge. It's light enough too that I can bring the whole thing in if I want.

I use it on 12v when running down the road or for short periods when loading, unloading, or fueling etc, even quite often for an hour or two with the engine off with no real noticeable effect on starting.

In current weather, I can leave it unpowered overnight and still have cold contents in the morning. Some guys build an insulated jacket or thin wall insulated box to further protect it when not powered.

Once I have separate batteries for powering accessories and an inverter, I'll be able to run it when just sitting and without shore power.

So, I'd say yeah, the dual power is worth it, though I know having that option in a real fridge with condenser, like Dometic and others sell, makes them more expensive.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are often out for 4-8 weeks at a time so a real fridge is needed. Still trying to figure out the problems. We have a 110 one. When the inverter went out, so did the fridge. Turned out only needed to reset the inverter. Looking at options to avoid that.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've had this thing hooked up to one power source or another non-stop for days on end and in use constantly for the last hundred days, though agree, having a dual power condenser fridge would be nice. Til then, this has been a perfect solution for me. No ice, no mess, plenty of cooling power, very convenient, and when used thoughtfully provides a consistent place to keep things cold.

To answer your original Q as to dual power being worth it or not, in my opinion, yes, it is.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had this thing hooked up to one power source or another non-stop for days on end and in use constantly for the last hundred days, though agree, having a dual power condenser fridge would be nice. Til then, this has been a perfect solution for me. No ice, no mess, plenty of cooling power, very convenient, and when used thoughtfully provides a consistent place to keep things cold.

To answer your original Q as to dual power being worth it or not, in my opinion, yes, it is.

We have used 'power coolers' in emergencies, they are nice. Our fridge has a REAL freezer. We pre cook meals and ground beef and bring it out with us. Saves money and the food WE make is tons better than truck stops or fast food. Thanks for your input.