12 foot high max & dock capable truck needed

dacunning

Active Expediter
I need some assistance from you experienced and smart people. I run an Electronics Recycling business in Alexandria, VA in the 22310 zip code area. Before I rented the "suspect" warehouse space, I was using a couple of the generic self storage units to put my plastic in and there was no height issue. I am just starting out and am renting trucks to ferry about 20 pallets of baled plastic @ 600 lbs each from one part of Alexandria to my warehouse also in Alexandria. I do this once a week usually on Fridays. I have rented Penske trucks locally here that are 24 and 26 feet in length but with a height of 13 ft 1 in.These are too tall for access to my warehouse which surprised me when I drove up to the warehouse in my 13 plus foot high 26 foot long Penske truck. You can only guess the quality of my language when I saw the 12 foot high clearance sign. Live and learn. Can someone help me figure out where I can rent a truck, or a service if need be, that is no higher then 12 foot and is dock height and can still haul about 8 of these 3ft hi X5ft L X 4ft wide bales? I asked the local Penske guys and they havent seen such a truck. Ideas? Thanks for the time and help. I have to figure this out before my next Friday run.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Can't you haul them on a open flat bed ? A stake truck it's called. You may have to tarp it or obtain some straps to secure the load.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the load is tightly packaged sometimes a local guy with a roll back auto carrier will do something like this fairly cheaply. Especially if it moves weekly,

dacunning

Active Expediter
Yes, I can do that and thought about it. Not being a trucking expert I am looking for the least friction path to get the plastic from pt A to pt B. That being said, your option is certanily doable and I will start looking for a stake truck tomorrow. If I can't strap it down, then I can't use this vehicle. I am relatively certian that these sstake trucks have the strap down mechanisisms on them but if not then back to the drawing board. thanks for the help...good thinking.. Dan

dacunning

Active Expediter
If the load is tightly packaged sometimes a local guy with a roll back auto carrier will do something like this fairly cheaply. Especially if it moves weekly,

Is that a wrecker type truck? these bales are compacted pretty tight so I think they can be make the trip that is oly about 5 miles as crow flys...Dan

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah.they tilt to winch wrecked cars onto them. Call around. Not everybody will want to do it. It you find the right guy I would think he'd do it cheaper than you can rent the truck. The key for him is be sure he can get loaded and unloaded quickly. Time is money. You may have to supply the straps. Go to a semi trl dealership, large truck supply place to get the proper straps. Or tell flatbed guy to get them and bill you on first load. Improper load securement equipment can result in hefty fines.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
In the NYC and Chicago metro areas, trucks used by the post office and newspapers are at a reduced height to be able to get around easier. Someone must be making these lower straight truck bodies, now you just have to find out who it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

dacunning

Active Expediter
Thanks Zorry, I think that's the best alternative now to continuing to use a truck that won't fit the bill for me. So, I have an assignment to locate a stake truck and a roll back auto carrier as well as buying straps with proper mechanism to secure the loads. The center of gravity is relatively low on these bales and i will only put them on the truck non-stacked. I don't want to invite trouble. I only have about 5 to 7 miles to go if that ... The issue of cost has to be addressed. As it stands now, with the 24 to 26 foot Penske rentals, I am looking at roughly 147 to 160 per week to haulk this freight to the warehouse. Any idea what these auto carrier would charge? It would be about a 3 hour job at least. Dan

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
until you are going to buy a truck, go to your closest truck stop or home depot and buy 4 20ft or longer ratchet straps with "hook" on the end of them...hire a rollback (wrecker company) and load them 4 deep and stack then and strap them down..or rent a 20ft stake truck and do it yourself with the straps you buy....if the stuff can't get wet, buy a few vinyl traps and a mess of rubber tarp straps and tarp them before you strap them down...

dacunning

Active Expediter

thanks to your good thinking, I just rented a stake truck with Ryder that's pretty close to my business. will turn out to be about same price as the penske 24 footer...at least this one will be able to dock to my warehouse. Thanks . I appreciate the help-Dan

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pull out a tape measure and on flat ground all four corners of the box actualy measure the truck height floor to roof. Most not all rental trucks have a label specifying the clearance at 13 feet even though the actual height is 12 feet to 12 feet six inches this is to avoid rookies from hitting a bridge.